View Single Post
Old 12-19-2002, 06:39 PM   #486
Child of the 7th Age
Spirit of the Lonely Star

Child of the 7th Age is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Sting

At the first glint of light on the horizon, Cami awoke and went up the ladder to the main deck. She stood at the railing, surveying the Bay. For a minute, standing there in the soft mists of the morning, she missed the presence of Angara who would normally have been sitting atop the mast throwing heckling comments down at her.

The Elven fleet was harbored close to shore, with the new Mannish ships that had just sailed in behind the Star standing off in deeper waters. Cami felt her heart clutch as she remembered what would happen in the next few days.

She could already see the small skiffs churning through the Bay, loaded down with all the common supplies they'd stored below deck. The Elves were transporting them over to the ships that would be going back to Gondor. After breakfast, they'd be carrying hobbits as well. Cami had made a neat long list, truly her last of the voyage, with all the names neatly inscribed, showing what ship each family would be on for the journey.

Staring towards the east for a long while, she suddenly became aware of the welcome presence of Rose who had slipped quietly up and now stood near her elbow. Cami turned around and smiled. "I've missed you. It's not been easy."

Rose nodded, "Daisy told me. I enjoyed my stay on the Elven ship with Annee. We just wanted to see what one was like. But I've missed you too. I came back with the skiff that was carrying supplies to the Star."

Rose impulsively reached out and patted Cami's shoulder. She could see the look of worry that still shown in her aunt's eyes. "Is Gamba alright? And what about you?"

Cami sighed, "I hope so. We're working through a lot of anger and sadness. I guess you've heard it all. He cried on my shoulder last night. Then he went back to his brother's cabin and eventually roamed around a bit on his own. When he went swimming with Levanto, I kept a distant eye just to make sure he was alright. Of course he doesn't know that."

"You used to do that for me as well, didn't you? One time, I saw you, and then I figured out you'd been there other times as well."

Cami laughed, "My secrets are out, but then mothers sometimes do things like that, especially when they're worried."

Rose looked over at Aunt Cami. For her, too, the woman had become more like 'mother' than aunt, although neither of them had ever chosen to put that into words.

Rose spoke softly, "I've never thanked you for taking me in when my grandparents passed on, or for agreeing that we'd go together on this voyage. It's something I'll never forget."

"I'll never forget it either," responded Cami. "I don't think I could have survived without you, certainly not in the Camps or the Tombs."

"Rose, I've been thinking. It might have been easier on you without Gamba or the younger boys. You know it's going to take a while for things to straighten out in our family."

With a mischievous smile on her face, Rose looked towards Cami, "That's probably true, but I don't mind. The boys are sweet, and Gamba makes things interesting. I've always wanted brothers, and now you've gotten me a passel. I'll whip them into shape."

"I expect you will, Mistress Rose!" Cami looked over at the girl. Rose had grown so much since coming to the Star. Then she added, "I suspect they will keep us both busy for a while. But, enough of that. Let's go below and get some breakfast. Hot pots of honnied tea, mushrooms and sausage and eggs and buttered scones. Only the best for our last days on the Star. Then we'll come back up with the others and watch the skiffs do their job with the hobbits."

By mid-morning, the fleet should be ready to leave and begin its journey back towards the River.

[ December 20, 2002: Message edited by: Child of the 7th Age ]