View Single Post
Old 12-28-2002, 04:31 AM   #498
piosenniel
Desultory Dwimmerlaik

piosenniel is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Sting

The Star lay at anchor just south of the great cliff that formed the western edge of the Emyn Muil. Pio had brought her maps up after the dinner that she and Cami had cooked just last evening, and she and Mithadan had gone over the easiest route for Cami and her band of Hobbits to follow. This last day of travel had been spent by Pio in making simple maps of the areas they would pass through, and one larger detailed map showing the entire journey.

Now they were docked, and Pio had rolled her map copies securely, placing them in the waterproof tube in which her own copies were usually stored. She slung it over her shoulder by the carrying strap, and grabbing her travelling pack, always at the ready, she prepared to leave the ship.

Mithadan was on the helm deck, and she ran up the stairs to say that she would see him later, ashore. He stood talking to one of the other captains who had come on board, making arrangements for them to leave as soon as the provisions had been off-loaded for the Hobbits and brought to shore. His loose shirt was unlaced at the throat, and the sleeves were rolled well above his elbows, as he had lent a hand to the moving of supplies to the skiffs.

The westering sun caught the glint of sweat that shone on his forearms and for one suspended moment she remembered when first she had looked upon him with her first feelings of affection. Aboard the Star, under a hot sun, he had bent to the task of sorting through the weapons in their meager armory. The sheen of his sweat outlined the movement of his muscles as he worked, and she had wondered at the feelings that had stirred within her as she watched him.

He caught her staring at him now, and smiled at her. Her breath caught in her throat at the beauty of him, and on impulse, she surprised him with a kiss. The captain who had been speaking with him, chuckled at Mithadan’s discomfiture. Eyes glinting and a barely concealed smile on his face, he nodded to Pio, and took his leave of Mithadan, saying he had no further questions and would leave him to more pressing matters. He dared a wink at Pio as he left, and she rewarded him with a smile.

‘Do not be angry with me, belovéd.’ she said to Mithadan, taking him by the hands and drawing him near. ‘Little time have we had together of late, and I simply could not resist the urge to pluck a kiss from you.’ She ran her fingers lightly about the line of his lips. ‘Or perhaps several . . .’ she murmured.

He laughed and held her at arms’ length. ‘One last thing we must see to, Piosenniel. He motioned with his chin toward the remaining supplies and the Hobbits who were now crossing to the shore in skiffs. ‘One last task to be done.’

‘You cannot know how I dread that small word, Mithadan. Should I never hear it again, it will be too soon!’ She sighed, and rubbed the back of her neck with her hand. ‘Alright then, you tend to the task of transporting the rest of the supplies, and I shall take up the task of seeing the camp is set up.’ Placing her hands on her hips, she arched her brows, and held his gaze with her grey eyes. ‘But once the tents are up, the Hobbits accounted for, and the provisions stacked, I expect to be your only task for the remainder of the evening.’

‘So be it!’ he intoned, grinning impishly. Then kissed her quickly and sent her on her way.