View Single Post
Old 12-30-2002, 10:57 AM   #505
Child of the 7th Age
Spirit of the Lonely Star

Child of the 7th Age is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Sting

Cami blinked back tears as Mithadan rose with quiet dignity to walk slowly towards the waiting skiff that would carry him back to the Star. She wondered if he would come ashore once more in the evening to sit near the campfire with them, but something inside her whispered no. He had made his peace, and gently cut the lines. There was no more to be said.

Cami had lived in Minas Anor so many years, yet never had she known or appreciated any of the big folk in the same way that she had grown to know this Man. What a pity there couldn't be more like him, or perhaps she just hadn't tried hard enough to find out where the others were. She reminded herself to keep looking for other Mithadans who might cross her path, and not to give up believing that there could be peace between their peoples, so closely related yet so often far distant.

Later that evening, at the hour of dusk, she walked by herself to the top of a hill that overlooked the campsite. Down below, like a hundred sparkling jewels, the campfires of Elves and hobbits gleamed in their brightness, one nestled right next to the other. Songs floated softly over the encampment, first an Elvish air or two, then the hobbits playing simple tunes on wooden flutes.

Cami felt her heart swell as she took in this rare manifestation of trust and friendship. Look sharp, she told herself. Not since Beleriand has such a thing happened. Nor will we see it again, unless perhaps at the end of time, and who can say for certain. For tomorrow we head north to begin our years of wandering, and our camps will not be so leisurely or so relaxed as this one we enjoy tonight.

Something inside her heart reassured Cami that the hobbits would indeed find a safe place to settle one day, but that she would never live so long to see that happen. She would have to be content with the waiting and the wandering, believing that it would eventally lead them to where they were intended to be.

Making her way back towards camp, she came to the fire where Bird and Pio were gathered and sat with them for the remainder of the evening, saying little, but content to be together for the last few moments of their journey. As the blaze burned lower, leaving only golden cinders, hobbits and even Elves laid down to sleep upon the ground. For their departure the next morning was to be very early.

One by one, the crew of the Star came by to where she and Rose were seated in order to whisper their good lucks and goodbyes. Cami watched Kali and Daisy walk off, with Andril just behind them. She could see Phura and Gamba leaning close together, sharing the feverish whisperings of brothers who would never again speak to one another, at least within the circles of Arda. The younger hobbit boys clung to each other and to Kesha, until the hobbrim lad pulled away, coming over to kiss Cami on the forehead and say thank you for all she had done.

***(Helen's Post)

When Kesha returned to the boys, he leaned against Gamba. The boys were piled all around them, with Maura in Phura's lap. Azraph sat with Phura, trying to hear-- and remember-- everything that passed between Phura and Gamba.

"So... sing for me, " Phura said, nudging Gamba. "One last time."

Gamba nodded. "I can't keep ignoring it, can I?"

"No."

"Phura, I can't bear to see you go."

Phura sighed. "You can. You will." He paused. "Remember what you said to me when I was waiting for the changing? Standing by the water, listening to the names being read off?"

"Yeah."

"You told me to go and find my dream. And you reminded me about the storms," Phura smiled, remembering. "Really big storms. And you said you'd remember me when it rains."

"I will," Gamba replied.

"Well, " Phura said, "I'll remember you whenever I hear the wind blowing in the trees. And every so often, I'll find that pine tree you first showed me, and I'll climb it, and think of you."

Gamba looked at the ground.

"Tell me your dreams again," Phura prompted.

Gamba shifted uneasily. "The Langwell," he said. "But Mom doesn't like that idea."

"She doesn't. Well, it's hard to let go sometimes; we know that, dont we? What else?"

"Living among the trees, out in the wind and under the blue sky, and getting as far away from ... those tombs as I can, " he said, with a backward glance over his shoulder towards Minas Tirith. He clearly thought of the entire city as a stony tomb. Phura smiled.

"So... trees, traveling a long way north, the Langwell. What else?"

"I want my boys with me." He mussed Asta's hair, and smiled at Ban and Roka, and then gave Kesha a tight, sad hug.

"The boys. What will you all do there?"

"They'll settle down, raise families."

"What about you?"

Gamba shifted. "I'll raise the boys."

"And?"

"I don't know."

Asraph and Phura exchanged glances. They both thought that Gamba would want children of his own, but the memory of Esta forbade them to discuss that. "You'll be far enough north that you'll see snow," Phura smiled.

Gamba smiled too. "My name is in the list, after all."

"Yes, it is. Gamba the Snowhobbit."

Gamba had not forgotten Phura's request for a song, and in the distance, he could see that people were preparing to return to the Star. He sighed, his chest tightening, and cast back in his mind, reviewing his studies. "Tell Loremaster that I miss him. And..."

Phura waited.

"Tell him he was right about Mistress Nitir. Tell him I call her Mom now."

"All right."

Gamba looked around, and saw Tuka, and Mika and Kima, and Corba, and thought that he would not be all alone, or not as all alone as he felt at the moment. And then he took a deep breath, and began.

Where the depths the sun is drinking
Wild the waves with wind are dancing
Deeply there the tide is pulling
Let it pull your heart to me.

Where the sun caresses flowers
Where the clouds pour silver showers
There the wind shows all her power
Let her blow your heart to me.

Far above a star is shining
And the lovely moon is roaming
There the path of stars is glowing
Tread that path and come to me.

Through the tide, the storm, the sky,
Oh, fly, my love, and come to me.

When he was finished, Phura began:

Stars above are softly shining,
Wind and waves my ship are rocking,
I my love for you am singing,
Sleep, my lovely, sleep.

Though our days we live in thralldom,
Deep inside your soul lives freedom.
Dream of shining elvish kingdoms!
Sleep, my lovely, sleep.

Watch and wait, always remember,
Never to despair surrender,
Hope will find you, hope remembers,
Sleep, my lovely, sleep.

Far away wild gulls are wailing,
Far away fond hearts are waiting,
Far away proud ships are sailing,
Sleep, my lovely, sleep.

Azraph held both their hands, and then she began, and Phura and Gamba both joined in:

I stand on the hillside and gaze at you
As you quickly recede from my sight
Slipping away (don't leave me, don't go)
Farewell, wait for me, I cry

For a short time we will be apart
in the light of eternity
I'll come to you, hold me in your heart
Remember me, wait for me

I ride on the wind, my eyes drift back
To the receding hill and to you
Hope lies before me, love lies behind
In time, hope will call you too

But love lies before me all the same
Love travels with me, strengthens me
Love waits behind for you, at home
And before me, far beyond the sea

in the light of eternity
I'll wait for you, hold you in my heart
Remember me, come to me

Beyond our sight, we see by hope
Beyond our vision, we wait in faith
Beyond the circles of the world
We'll find all our loves again

in the light of eternity
Iluvatar waits, and says in his heart
Remember me, come to me.

They shared embraces all around, and then Azraph and Kesha drew to Phura's side. Phura embraced Gamba one more time, and then said, "Promise me you won't rest until you find your dreams. Promise me."

"I promise," Gamba replied.

"I'm counting on that. I mean it," Phura said. "I'll hold you to that promise. I really will."

"I promise, " Gamba repeated.

"All right then, you rascal, " Phura said. "I love you."

"I love you too. Enjoy the Abyss, " Gamba said. "And the storms. I'll think of you when it rains. Every time."

"Good bye, " Phura said, and they turned and walked away, and joined those that were leaving for The Star.

*****(end Helen's Post)

Finally, as the golden cinders began to fade to grey ash, the only ones remaining from the Star were Bird and Pio. The Elf bent down and put her arm about Cami's shoulder, "Do you wish us to return to shore in the morning to bid you luck?"

Cami turned aside, making a feeble effort to hide the tears that were streaming down her cheeks, then shook her head no. "We part tonight. Tomorrow is for new beginnings."

They each embraced her and promised never to forget. Then amid her tears Cami laughed, threatening to follow Pio into the Fourth Age if she did not take care of herself properly and make sure the twins had a healthy mother. And to Bird, she said simply, "Don't neglect to look for the sign that I will send through to you."

She watched in silence as the women went aboard the skiff, and their small boat inched its way towards the mother ship. Then she lay on the ground by herself, and tried with little luck to stem the tears that cascaded downward to mingle with the soft brown earth. She finally rolled over onto her back and looked up at the stars in the heavens. There were a great many of them, almost like a blanket aglow. To Cami they seemed to be a wondrous reminder and a promise of hope in a world that still longed for the light of the Silmarils.

She whispered aloud to the greatest star she could see in the sky, Maura, I kept my promise to you. I have seen this thing through to the end. But, oh, it has been hard. Then she pulled her legs up to her chest and quickly fell asleep.

At the earliest hint of dawn, the hobbits and Elves awoke to the sound of birds trilling at each other high in the trees, a song that cut through the still morning air and beckoned them to come forward quickly on their appointed trail. Each traveller stopped to eat a little packet of journey bread that had been specially set aside for that purpose.

The small band of Elves who led the assembly never looked behind, walking with amazing grace and deftness along the slanting path that gradually rose up to meet the horizon. The hobbits gathered up their packets and satchels more slowly, turning their backs on the river with some reluctance, and trudging north on the path that would skirt along the western base of the cliffs. Cami had appointed scouts at various points on the march, sturdy lads to keep an eye on things, relay messages, and make sure no hobbit was left behind. The hobbits were a great procession, and it took some time for all of them to leave the river valley.

Her eyes wide and clear, Cami walked beside Rose and just to the rear of the Elves, with Gamba following sadly a bit to her left. Cami had set the boys on the backs of the ponies, Asta with Ban, and Roka with Maura, along with several of the heavier bundles that she'd slung across the animals' withers. Now and again, Gamba would reach over to touch one of the boys' legs, to reassure himself that they were really still there.

As they rounded the bend that would take them northward and away from the Anduin, Cami took Gamba's hand in her own and glanced back over her shoulder. The dim outline of the Star could still be glimpsed through the mist and haze. But the faces and figures of the people had faded and could no longer be clearly seen.

She turned back and glanced at the boy now walking quietly by her side. The towsled hair was still there, but the mischievous expression had disappeared, and in its place dawned a seriousness and intensity that belied his very young age. Still, although his eyes looked taut and concerned, she saw no shadows of despair. And that thought cheered her.

She fixed her own gaze firmly on the trail ahead. "Look there," she whispered to the four boys astride the ponies, then pointed towards a small red fox hidden behind a tree who now bolted away flicking its bushy tail in distress at the silent approach of the Elves. The childrens' delighted laughter pealed out, cutting through the mist, as the sun peeped out over the hillside. And overhead, although Cami could not see it, a single black bird winged, once, twice, and then a final circle, before making its path back towards the waiting ship.

[ January 08, 2003: Message edited by: Child of the 7th Age ]

[ January 09, 2003: Message edited by: Child of the 7th Age ]