View Single Post
Old 07-27-2007, 01:53 PM   #619
Hammerhand
Haunting Spirit

Hammerhand has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via MSN to Hammerhand
Quote:
Originally Posted by Legate of Amon Lanc View Post
Well, on the other hand, using the "familiar" language might have served its purpose for curious readers (for example one who knew Elvish - or more precisely, had the dictionary at the end of Silmarillion nearby - could translate some of the words which are not even translated in the book, and have fun with it). I even believe the reason for using it may be sort of a tribute to Tolkien from the author - but, honestly, if I wrote something, I'd try to come up with my own language; I'll probably consider "borrowing" Sindarin/Quenya/whatever too "high" to put in my book. Feist did this with more things than just language - now I remembered that monster in the dwarven tunnels at the end of the first volume... yes, that obvious balrog... as I said, the author might have meant it to be a tribute to Tolkien, but the reader (like me) may consider it as lack of his own creative thoughts and simply copying... Nevertheless, as I said, the Riftwar Saga was a good read - or that's how I remember it.
Aye i agree it is a fantastic read. I believe you are referencing the mines of Mac Mordain Cadal, where Dwarves once lived until some travesty i can't remember occured. Doesn't the familiarity sting you? i agree also that there were multiple Tolkien references, 'Elvandar - Elvendom'. I can't really comment on the Sindarin or Quenyan languages because it's a shady patch of my knowledge:P Nonetheless Riftwar was commendable.