View Single Post
Old 08-23-2007, 07:52 AM   #629
Lalwendė
A Mere Boggart

Lalwendė is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Lalwendė is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sallkid View Post
Without intending any offence whatsoever I completely disagree.

The sequels were written from different perspectives than the first book, in which Lyra is a child, the book was written from a childs perspective making the world seem more magical by happenstance.
ALthough i agree that the themes of Lyra's world were much more condensed and deep than any of the other worlds in the series I do not believe that the subsequent works (the subtle knife and the Amber Spyglass) lacked imagination. The flaw was in having too many worlds to spread the fantasy elements of the story through.
Interesting way of looking at it, and a good one - as one of the 'points' to the story is that Lyra grows up during it, so of course, the perspective would change as the story developed. You see a similar thing in Lord of the Rings as the Hobbits get deeper into peril and they grow.

I sometimes think that Pullman's problem was that he had too many good ideas for the second and third books and rather than being strung out, they are too condensed!