View Single Post
Old 03-05-2011, 12:42 AM   #9
Cirdan
Animated Skeleton

Cirdan has just left Hobbiton.
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Sixth Wizard View Post
Minas Ithil was taken by the Nazgul very soon after the Witch-King's utter defeat in Arnor by a Gondorian expeditionary force. That's right, a fraction of Gondor's forces can annihilate a great evil power which resides hundreds of miles away, but allow that same power to capture one of their most crucial fortresses, just a short ride from their capital city, with horrendous consequences for years to come. Go figure.
Let's not forget that this expeditionary force was acting in concert with the Elves of Lindon, some Dunedain soldiers of Arthedain, and a force out of Rivendell led by a powerful elf-lord capable of putting the Witchking to flight!

By contrast, in the South the forts at the Morannon and Cirith Ungol had been abandoned, the civilians of Minas Ithil had left and there was likely just a small garrison there when ALL Nine Nazgul came against it.

Gondor was still very strong then, but the fear and dread of the Ringwraiths must have been an effective deterrent to breaking their siege, or recapturing the citadel. Now if I had been in charge, I would have thrown everything I had at 'em anyway and enlisted Gandalf and/or Saruman to help. One of the two should have been around somewhere at that time! Slackers!
Cirdan is offline   Reply With Quote