View Single Post
Old 06-18-2008, 08:17 PM   #74
Morthoron
Curmudgeonly Wordwraith

Morthoron is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Morthoron is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Morthoron is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Morthoron is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Morthoron is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nogrod
What would have Tolkien thought of that? What if he had been told that he would have to make haste in the university, concentrating only on a narrow field to graduate in minimal time possible to be "efficient" from the point of economics, and not just study all those futile old languages which are not to be turned into instant profit by the markets?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Groin Redbeard View Post
I've read your posts several times over, Nogrod, and I'm not sure if I'm getting the right message from you.

So far I think that you're saying that the rich control the government and the economies, selling old languages for their profits, that guns are bad for society, and Tolkien would dissapprove of this all. I'm a bit confused as you see, could you elaborate on this a little more? I really want to understand what you are saying but I can't make it out (I learn better not visually)
Well, no, that's isn't what Nogrod was saying in the passage you quoted. He was saying that what if Tolkien had been told to be 'successful' at university, and choose a field in which he would have a 'sucessful career' (success in this case translating directly into a large salary -- it's simple economics), rather than wasting time on dead languages and centuries-old stories that no even reads anymore. So, he blows through his classes, gets an MBA in Economics, is hired by the local what-not manufacturer, and devises the means to make more what-nots with non-union workers, and after he breaks the union and lowers wages to below poverty level, he becomes chairman of the board, buries all of England's Lake District in a landfill for the toxic what-nots he's created, is knighted for his success and dies of gout after a long successful career.

And no one will have ever heard of The Lord of the Rings.