View Single Post
Old 03-07-2009, 06:47 PM   #47
Aiwendil
Late Istar

Aiwendil is a guest at the Prancing Pony.Aiwendil is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Quote:
The only problem is that "Aelfwine and Dirhavel" most certainly precedes the text of the Narn, does it not?
I had been operating under the assumption that it was the other way around, with the 'Narn' preceding 'Aelfwine and Dirhaval'. But now I realize it may not be so clear. Christopher surmises that 'this story [i.e. the part of the Narn with Androg in it] was fully in being (so far as it ever went) when A [i.e. the first version of 'Aelfwine and Dirhavel'] was written - indeed it seems likely enough that A belongs to the time when my father was working on it.'

If, then, we agree with CT's assessment, 'Aelfwine and Dirhaval' is contemporary with or very slightly later than the middle portions of the 'Narn'. But I can't find anything that offers a clue as to whether it preceded or followed the plot-outline that tells of Androg's death at Amon Rudh.

So we clearly have one story being replaced with another, but it is no longer clear to me which was replaced by which.
Aiwendil is offline   Reply With Quote