View Single Post
Old 12-10-2001, 02:21 PM   #29
mfenwick

Sting

I'm new to this forum so forgive me if I am not entirely clear on the contours of the debate that I am about to intervene in. . .

The idea of the Ring as being wrapped up in some form of feminine energy or symbolism could not, I feel, be more wrong (and my apologies for being so blunt). Yes, it is round and thus 'yonic', but this hardly seems a sufficient reason for rendering the Ring itself as feminine. If anything, in the very fact that the Ring becomes a source of power -- in order for it to be used -- it must first have a finger thrust through it, would suggest an entirely different form of engendering. The empowering moment in regard to the Ring is that in which the feminine symbol is pentrated and claimed by the male/masculine hero/villain. I think it is no mistake the Frodo's 'victory' at Mount Doom comes about when his penetrative/possessive finger is removed. The Ring is not, then, a feminine symbol at all, but a symbol of a violent, penetrative, possessive masculinity.

But this kind of interpretation is all highly dependent upon Freudian psychology and mythological systems that may have been in Tolkien's mind when he wrote the book, but certainly not consciously developed. (As Tolkien himself has written in his letters, the book is consciously Catholic in its formulation.)

The only form of Feminine evil that I can find in the narrative is Shelob. And if you have a penchant for Freudian and/or mythological imagery you can have a field day with her: she lives in a deep, round, cave that is dark and impenetrable by the male heroes; her smell is overpowering and horrific (compare that to the beautiful smell that Frodo notices around Arwen); she does not feed or nourish the male heroes, but feeds upon them; she does not think of the other (ie 'feminine' compassion) but only of the self; she is not Sauron's servant, but a kind of equal to him; the hero/masculine sword is useless against her, only the phial of Galadriel can drive her back until she impales herself upon Sam's 'little weapon'. Most important, however, is that she does not care about "towers or rings." The Ring is something that she does not care about at all -- to the point where Gollum can hope to find it among the cast aside things after she has feasted on Frodo.