View Single Post
Old 02-19-2004, 09:44 PM   #1
Imbefana
Pile O'Bones

Imbefana has just left Hobbiton.
Sauron and the palantir

Around T.A. 1980, the Nazgul took Minas Ithil, which housed a palantir, which was subsequently taken by Sauron. We know that Sauron used the seeing-stone until his demise, and communicated directly with those who looked into other seeing-stones, such as Denethor, Saruman and Pippin.

My question is that since Sauron was extremely powerful, was only he able to communicate or speak with others through the palantiri?

For example, before the Ithil-stone was taken, were the Numenoreans who used the stones able to have a long distance conversation with one another?

Quote:
Now these stones had this virtue that those who looked therein might perceive in them things far off, whether in place or time. For the most part they revealed only things near to another kindred Stone, for the Stones each called to each; but those who possessed great strength of will and of mind might learn to direct their gaze whither they would.
This quote from the Silmarillion leads me to think not, as only the strong could will the Stones to go to a certain place and time. What do you guys think?