View Single Post
Old 07-12-2005, 02:30 PM   #38
Gorthaur the Cruel
Wight

Gorthaur the Cruel has just left Hobbiton.
Quote:
Galadriel had also seen the Light of the Trees & the Light of Aman would have been in her face as well, & that Light was Holy, & evil things could not stand before it. However, unlike Glorfindel, Galadriel had never passed to Mandos to be purified of her sin in the Rebellion, so she would probably not have had his innate power sans Nenya.
I think you are wrong in this. The light of Aman was not the power booster of the Calaquendi. I dunno you meant that in a literal sense. it was the mere presence of the Valar that enhanced the Elves because they were taught & instructed, thus they grew in skill & might compared to those who remained in ME. And also, the reincarnation of Glorfindel was only a lesser version of his former 1st age self. he wasn't as potent as he was in the 1st age. He was able to take down a Balrog before but in the 3rd age, he lets the ring wraiths go unchallenged (of course, Frodo was in emeregency at this point). So she was still greater than he & she already had a commanding stature even before shge left Aman.
Quote:
We do not know to what levels of strength the Elves in the Undying Lands have grown while Galadriel is in exile, but we must assume that due to her exile she is in some way less than they are.
I doubt there were any new "developments" in the eldar of Valinor while she was in Exile. True strength & power grow & increase from troubled times. Valinor at this point have already sent the Istari so they're all pretty much peachy & dandy without a care in the world. Like the kiss-butt Vanyar who feast & sing before the Valars' thrones. On the other hand , the eldar who remained in Me have been fighting a loosing battle but none the less growing in might. The Three elven rings were the greatest (on par w/ the silmarills IMO) creation of the elves & unlike the Silmarills (mere hallowed ornaments), they could be utilized directly for the nenefit of the eldar. Tolkien has said that she was greatest ('cept for Feanor maybe) & although she was exiled, the rings of power certainly halted for a while the Doom of Mandos & the rustic fading of the Eldar. She herself did not swear an oath so the curse was not as cruel to her as it was to other great eldars of her time. And remember how much a ring of power can even permanently enhance someone such as Frodo (who began to percieve things more clearly than the wise). How much more for her who was mighty & endowed with a powerful ring? She might've seen many things in the future & grown more wise than asny other elf so I doubt she went back to Valinor as a "lesser" version than what she was. Quite the contrary in fact.