View Single Post
Old 01-22-2009, 05:14 PM   #129
Legate of Amon Lanc
A Voice That Gainsayeth

Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rikae View Post
True, he might be passed over by the wraiths by night while we lynch them during the day - but, call me pessimistic, I don't think it's very likely he won't be changed. The innocent Frodo, unknown, is a threat, and otherwise no more use than any other ordo. Revealed, he no longer offers much advantage to the baddies.

I haven't played with a cursed villager before, but don't they usually not even know their own roles? A cursed who knows his role is another story altogether. We're not forced to lynch a known, wraith-ified Frodo right away, either, if we have other good prospects, so I don't know how we're forced to miss a chance.

Still, it also occurs to me that a known, but not publicly broadcast, converted Frodo could be even more help to the village in some circumstances. Well, we shall see.
You are perfectly correct about it being a completely new perspective (although I am not sure if I have ever played even with a "normal" cursed villager).

Hmm. But whatever. As for Frodo revealing, just to clear it up a bit, I am thinking in various scenarios:

DAY X
Frodo thinks he is going to be targeted at night. Under these circumstances, I think he should go and shout out: "I am the Ringbearer!" This way, the village will be aware, if anything happens.

DAY Y, Y= something like Day 1 or so
There is no special reason why Frodo should be targeted (or so people think). Under these circumstances, I see no particular reason for him revealing.

However, there is also one thing to consider, and this is why I asked whether we would know when Frodo is turned (from the narration - like: "Now, you have 4 Wraiths."). Because if not, then it is actually even more dramatic and sinister if we know Frodo's identity, or if the Ranger knows - because, imagine it: Frodo reveals. Everybody knows. Ranger knows. Nazgul attack Frodo. Ranger protects Frodo. But the villagers won't know whether Frodo has been turned or not. The next day, Frodo goes all: "No, no, I am innocent, leave me alone!" But what now? The only one who knows the truth is the Ranger (and the Nazgul) - and he certainly should not reveal just because of that (on the contrary, I deem he should be careful in such situation. But not suddenly overly careful, of course. Just so that he does not get suspected by the Nazgul as being a Ranger). So what should the village do? Lynch Frodo? What if he is innocent. Then Ranger's save was in vein (okay, not really - the Nazgul lost one kill). Well... okay, maybe still this situation would be positive for the village anyway.

But all of that presumes a "good" Frodo - i.e. not one who would wish himself to be Wraithised. Hmph.

EDIT: x-ed since the Rikae I quoted
"Should the story say 'he ate bread,' the dramatic producer can only show 'a piece of bread' according to his taste or fancy, but the hearer of the story will think of bread in general and picture it in some form of his own." -On Fairy-Stories
Legate of Amon Lanc is offline   Reply With Quote