View Single Post
Old 10-17-2004, 03:14 PM   #24
Bęthberry
Cryptic Aura

Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.
Boots The forlorn Mallorn tree

The pretty leaves of Lothlorien were but pretty leaves for me, until...

I stood at a kitchen sink and looked out the window one grey pewter day in November. I was waiting for the inescapable and inevitable to happen, the death of someone dear to me. And it was to come soon, four days later. And I was visiting one last time but one my childhood home, which I could never then visit again.

As I looked out I saw the white, peeling bark of a silver birch tree, with golden oranges leaves, dead but still hanging on the branches, limbs and twigs, fluttering forlornly in the breeze. They would not fall until spring. I had never recognised that about this tree, but it had happened year in and year out. The leaves turned colour in the autumn but did not fall until spring.

I realised how very closely Tolkien observed the natural world, that he could take a specific characteristic of a real species of tree and give to it the characteristics of faerie. Lothlorien called to me then as it never had before.

Last edited by Bęthberry; 10-19-2004 at 08:06 PM. Reason: dastardly spelling
Bęthberry is offline   Reply With Quote