View Single Post
Old 07-26-2005, 01:29 PM   #258
Folwren
Messenger of Hope

Location: In a tiny, insignificant little town in one of the many States.
Folwren is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Folwren is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
1420!

Quote:
Originally posted by Mithalwen:
Oh don't be so sentimental... I created an extended family just to have people to kill when the battle hots up
It's not sentiment...it's having to do with coincidence and likelihood. Consider an outside reader...he knows there are four people writing about these dwarves and each person picks up a friend. Come battle, all four people's characters' friend dies and everyone gets to write about angry, grief stricken dwarves. The likelihood is slim, especially if the three brothers and uncle remain unscathed (or even if they're wounded), and it just wouldn't seem right. Now, I can see a universal friend getting killed and then everyone being mad for that reason, but not for each. Don't get me wrong, I don't mind killing off a few extra people to make the story more intriguing and full of feeling, but I don't think that we should kill everyone at once.

I would wish your extended family good luck, but I guess it's useless when I'm not the author.