Thread: Is Eru God?
View Single Post
Old 12-15-2005, 01:22 PM   #231
alatar
Doubting Dwimmerlaik

alatar is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.alatar is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Quote:
Originally Posted by HerenIstarion
The fact is that we do not know relation between 'eternity' and 'time'.
Isn't time the unit of eternity? And though the universe is seemingly infinite, and may have been here so long that it seems to be eternal, it had a starting point, and may even have boundaries, and so is not eternal. Eru may be eternal but his creations have starting points.

I have no idea what point I was attempting to make .

Quote:
But even taking as granted that angels do not know, and Valar do, what difference it makes for relation between Eru and Eruhini, and between Man and Creator?
How about humans that have preknowledge? In Arda it could be, as someone has noted, a special or attentive ear for the Music. On Earth it can only be via direct revelation. Does Satan hear the Music as I assume that God does not clue him in on His plan?

Quote:
In Orthodox theology there is a term 'teogumen' (if I remember it correctly). It seems to me that Host of Angels (as Valar) who may have 'worked' in Creation (even if after it was accomplished), since we do not have direct indication that they did not take any part in 'working' in it, may be a 'teogumen' as well.
Do we assume that angels, like their ME counterparts, have creative powers? Though Manwë had to check in now and again when making a big change (drowning Númenor), he still was King of Arda and changed things therein. Are there Christian/Judaic examples of angels with similar powers? Though this may seem trivial, if angels have such powers then what would stop Satan from mascarading as a prophet or messianic figure?

Tolkien's Satan heard the Music, had creative powers (though did not have access to the 'fire') and was a visible physical force in Arda.