View Single Post
Old 01-18-2003, 06:34 PM   #17
Bill Ferny
Shade of Carn Dûm

Bill Ferny has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Negative is good too, Diamond18 [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img] I see what you mean with Galadriel, and poor, poor Pippin. Its been hard for me to find an illustrator that captures what I imagine about hobbits, dwarves and elves. I particularly don’t care for John Howe’s hobbits (and Aragorn, btw), Ted Nasmith’s elves and hobbits, and Alan Lee’s Gollum and hobbits.

I think the only artist that seems to constantly depict hobbits and dwarves (with big heads!) the way I imagine them was Darrel Sweet. His work has been often criticized for it’s cartoonish character, and stock medieval images, very much akin to John Cullen Murphy’s Prince Valiant. For example, this picture shows his stock elves, that are always blond haired and wearing tights (though I prefer to call them woolen chausses [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img] ). He often missed the mark, especially in his depictions of Legolas that don’t follow the book description at all. This is one of his more remarkable illustrations, and the one that has always stayed in my head, Eagle's Eyrie. I love the way he presents Bilbo and how he dresses the dwarves, and I’ve always had a thing for the sword belts he puts on the heroes.

dragoneyes, I do believe that is the most original take I’ve ever heard on Tom Bombadil! I can kind of see that, now that you mention it. I go a strange direction with him too. I think of Santa Claus, maybe not the red suited variety, but more the English style. For some reason I’ve always attached Christmas to him and imagine his house to be decorated with evergreen boughs, holly and misteltoe, not to mention a bunch of wooden toys as well. However, I’ve never imagined Goldberry as Mrs. Claus. Nope, I prefer this Goldberry. One thing about the brothers Hildebrandt, they did know how to… err… draw a woman. [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]