View Single Post
Old 09-26-2017, 01:53 PM   #2
Findegil
King's Writer

Findegil is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
I agree that this is a straight forward chapter. Nontheless I have a few remarks:

NG-EX-04: The name Nulukikhizidun is used in our Version in some form, but the story is not told in the way it should. The source I would recommend for this is HoMe 12; The Dwarvish origin of the name Felagund. And I think we have to incoperate it here in a way:
Quote:
And he called that place Nargothrond, and made there his home with many of his folk; and the {Gnomes}[Elves] of the North, at first in jest, called him on this account Felagund, NG-EX-04 <LQ2 [Footnote ot the text: This was in fact a {Dwarfish}[Dwarvish] name; for Nargothrond was first made by the Dwarves, as is NG-EX-04.1{later}[here after] recounted. NG-EX-04.2<HoMe 12; The Dwarvish origin of the name Felagund Felagund: Dwarvish NG-EX-04.3{v}[verb] felek hew rock, felak a tool like a broad-bladed chisel, or small axe-head without haft, for cutting stone; to use this tool. {v}[verb] gunud equivalent of Eldarin s-rot NG-EX-04.4{[Footnote to the text: [Elsewhere in these notes. For the stem rot, s-rot is given the meaning 'delve underground, excavate, tunnel', whence Quenya hrota 'dwelling underground, artificial cave or rockhewn hall', rotto 'a small grot or tunnel'.{]} gundu underground hall. felakgundu, felaggundu 'cave-hewer'. This name was given because of Finrod's skill in lighter stone-carving. He cut many of the adornments of the pillars and walls in Nargothrond. He was proud of the name. But it was often by others Eldarized into Felagon, as if it had the same ending (*-kano) as in Fingon, Turgon; and the first element was associated with Sindarin fael 'fair-minded, just, generous', Quenya faila (NG-EX-04.5{?} from {v }phaya 'spirit', adjectival formation meaning 'having a good fea, or a dominant fea').]> or 'lord of caverns’, and that name he bore thereafter until his end. NG-EX-04.6 < HoMe 12; The Dwarvish origin of the name Felagund The name Felagund was of Dwarvish origin. Finrod had help of Dwarves in extending the underground fortress of Nargothrond. It is supposed originally to have been a hall of the Petty-dwarves (NG-EX-04.7{Nibinnogs}[Noegyth Nibin]), but the Great Dwarves despised these, and had no compunction in ousting them NG-EX-04.8{ - hence Mīm's special hatred for the Elves -} especially for great reward. Finrod had brought more treasure out of Tuna than any of the other princes.
>Yet Galadriel his sister dwelt NG-EX-04.9{never}[not] in Nargothrond, but remained in Doriath and received the love of Melian, and abode with her, and there learned great lore and wisdom concerning Middle-earth.> NG-EX-05 <LQ2 Now Turgon remembered rather the City set upon a Hill, …
NG-EX-04.1: This has to be changed because we tell that story right after.

NG-EX-04.2: I added the linguistical part of this note into the footnote to the name.

NG-EX-04.3: I think we should extant Tolkiens short hand.

NG-EX-04.4: Since we are already in a footnote there is no way to put that as a note referring to a note, so we have to put it as a normal text of the footnote.

NG-EX-04.5: The ‘?’ seems to refer to the fact that phaya is not a verb. So I removed both.

NG-EX-04.6: Here I added the first part of the note, that has a more prose character.

NG-EX-04.7: A simple update of the name.

NG-EX-04.8: I think this forward reference has to go.

NG-EX-04.9: I think we discussed this in another thread. It is later told that Galadriel lifed for a time in Nargothrond, so here never is too broad in reference.

Respectfully
Findegil
Findegil is offline   Reply With Quote