emrys
Pile O'Bones

emrys has just left Hobbiton.
Somehow I had lost Fingedil reply.

Anyway I understand your point...here is the next:

Quote:
Your Version

§270 (§1e) RD-EX-04 <WH, Note 54, Text 1 {Asgorn}[Asgon] they
{choose}chose for captain, but he {treats}treated Húrin as lord, and {does}did as he {will}willed. /And he asked therefore Húrin:/ ‘Whither shall we go? {They}/We/ must {[? }know{]} a place of refuge.’ /And/ Húrin {elects}elected to go to Nargothrond.>

§271 (§1f) RD-EX-05 <WH, Year 501 of The Grey Annals Of the wanderings of Húrin[ and his men] there is no tale told, until {he}they came at last late in {this}[the] year to Nargothrond. It is said that he had then gathered to him other fugitives and masterless men in the wild, and came south with a following of a hundred or more. But why it was that he went to Nargothrond is uncertain, save that so his doom and the fate of the Jewels led him.

Some have said that maybe he knew not that Glaurung was dead, and hoped in his heart distraught to take vengeance on this evil thing - for Morgoth would conceal the death of Glaurung, if he could, both because the loss was a grief to him and a hurt to his pride, and because (from Húrin especially) he would conceal all that was most valiant or successful of Túrin's deeds. Yet this can scarce be so, since the death of Glaurung was so bound up with the death of his children and revelation of their evil case; while the rumour of the assault of Glaurung upon Brethil went far and wide. Certainly Morgoth fenced men in Hithlum, as he was able, and little news came to them of events in other lands; but so soon as Húrin passed southward or met any wanderers in the wild he would hear tidings of the battle in the ravine of Taeglin. More likely is it that he was drawn thither to discover news of Túrin; to {Brethil}[Doriath] he would not yet come{, nor to Doriath}.>RD-EX-05.5<WH /And of old /he had been an admirer of Felagund.>

...continue...leaning upon his staff

Quote:
My Version is briefer:

Asgon was chosen as their captain, but he treated Húrin as lord, and did as he willed. And he asked therefore Húrin: ‘Whither shall we go? We must find a place of refuge.’ And Húrin elected to go to Nargothrond; but why it was that he chose Nargothrond is uncertain, save that so his doom and the fate of the Jewels led him.

On a time therefore Húrin and his band came at last to the caves of Nargothrond, which as yet none, Orc, Elf, or Man, had dared to plunder, for dread of the spirit of Glaurung and his very memory. It is said that he had then gathered to him other fugitives and masterless men in the wild, and came south with a following of a hundred or more.

...continue as yours...leaning upon his staff
The difference in the two text is very slight, but in mine I retained most part of the Tale text.

A greater difference is that I have chosen to delete any references which shows that Hurin doesn't know of the death of Glaurung cause for sure, in both versions, he as already visited Brethil. I think that the sentence was inteded to be inserted in a previous version in which Hurin visited brethil after Nargothrond.
emrys is offline   Reply With Quote