View Single Post
Old 11-27-2007, 03:04 AM   #16
emrys
Pile O'Bones

emrys has just left Hobbiton.
While I think that in my opinion this first part maybe could stand:

Quote:
Some have said that maybe he knew not that Glaurung was dead, and hoped in his heart distraught to take vengeance on this evil thing - for Morgoth would conceal the death of Glaurung, if he could, both because the loss was a grief to him and a hurt to his pride, and because (from Húrin especially) he would conceal all that was most valiant or successful of Túrin's deeds. Yet this can scarce be so, since the death of Glaurung was so bound up with the death of his children and revelation of their evil case;
This second part seems to suggest that Hùrin has not yet visited Brethil, which doesn't sound right to me: Has Húrin heard tidings of the ravine of Taeglin from wanderers in the wild and not in the time he spent in Brethil?

Quote:
while the rumour of the assault of Glaurung upon Brethil went far and wide. Certainly Morgoth fenced men in Hithlum, as he was able, and little news came to them of events in other lands; but so soon as Húrin passed southward or met any wanderers in the wild he would hear tidings of the battle in the ravine of Taeglin.
This last part I think could stand as well. (nothing against Felagund)

Quote:
More likely is it that he was drawn thither to discover news of Túrin; to {Brethil}[Doriath] he would not yet come{, nor to Doriath}.>RD-EX-05.5<WH /And of old /he had been an admirer of Felagund.>
- Emrys -
emrys is offline   Reply With Quote