View Single Post
Old 09-27-2017, 05:08 PM   #124
ArcusCalion
Quentingolmo

ArcusCalion has just left Hobbiton.
Normally I would not agree that the chronological breakup of the texts is what is needed, but we have been doing this throughout Volume 1, so it is in line with the project and thus makes sense. Do not worry, I have not wasted any time on editing the second age and third age stuff, as I knew that you had a clear idea and draft of the structure. Have no fear, I will defer to your draft in this matter. The only point I would argue of your draft: Glorfindel and the Istari came during the third age, as it is told in the published Tale of Years. Thus, we should not include this in the "Black Years" section.

On that note, is the name "The Black Years" meant to be the equivalent to the "Quenta Silmarillion," because if so, I would argue we should look for a Tolkien Based document title, or a mirror name like "The History of the Rings: Quenta Million;" just a thought.

The Tale of Years was indeed a risky addition of mine, but I figured we could include an entirely synthesized group of dates for major events that we post as an appendix to give some historical context to the stories. That may very well be antithetical to the project, and I do not disagree with its removal from the list.

The Cirion and Eorl point may well be as you say, and we can discuss it at the time of the drafting. The Istari movement is fine as well.

I only refrained from including The New Shadow because you had expressed reluctance about its inclusion when asked by Arvegil. I am glad you think now that we should include it. Consider it a late appendix by Sanwise to the Red Book that has been lost due to damage or some such.

I only put the diagrams at the end bc they include the Tree of Tongues in the Lhammas, but we can put that at the end of the Lhammas.

If you think that the Ossanwe should be appended to Essekenta Eldarinwa, then I will not contest.
ArcusCalion is offline   Reply With Quote