View Single Post
Old 04-30-2003, 04:43 PM   #33
Earendil Halfelven
Wight

Earendil Halfelven has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Turthôl trudged through Bree with Wren following behind him. He didn't understand this lady. Just because she has a lot of money (probably her parents money too) doesn't mean that she gets special privileges, especially out here in the wild. But he did feel a little guilty of the way he had just treated her. Did she know anything about traveling, at all? Despite his distrust of her, he felt that he should make amends for how he had been. After all, it wasn't like he didn't like her, or anyone at all in the company for that matter. There was just no trust, yet.

The street was crowded, pretty crowded for being late in the evening. He headed for the Dry Goods shop. Dried fruit and dried meats is what they would need. For other things, like fresh meat and veggies, they would need to find that in the forest, which would be no problem for the Dúnedain.

Teach me what you know, she had said. If she knew, she wouldn't want to learn, he thought. He turned and said to Wren, "I'm sorry for the way I've treated you. It's not that I don't like you, or anyone else in the company. It's just that I don't trust anyone until they've proven themselves. Past experience has taught me that lesson...a lesson I can't teach you..."

Wren had a look on her face-a mix between curiousity and surprise. Before she could say anything in response, Turthôl turned and said, "Come, the Dry Goods shop is our first stop."

"Well, who do you trust then?" she called after him.

"The Elves and my brethren, the Dúnedain." He didn't feel like saying anything more.

They left the shop with a sack slung over Turthôl's shoulder. Wren was counting what money she had left.

“I think we need to…” Wren began but Turthôl walked off down the street. “Where are you going?” she demanded.

“Medical supplies is what we need next. I have enough knowledge to find healing herbs and plants, but we are going to need bandages.” He said as he walked off.
Wren went after him.

“Don’t you even care about my opinion? This is my money after all,” she said.

Turthôl turned. “I’m sorry, my lady,” he said with some sarcasm. “What do you think we need to buy next?”

“Um…well, since we’re already on our way to buy some bandages, we might as well go get those.” Wren said with a sigh.

“As you wish, my lady,” Turthôl said.

“Oh, can you stop that? I just want to be treated like an equal.” She said exasperated.

“As you wish…my lady.” Turthôl said laughing. He began to walk off again.

“You know, your nothing like the Rangers of Ithilien. They would never act like this. They are a noble breed of Men.” Wren said.

“Hey, I know some of them. I have a cousin who lives near Osgiliath. Since he’s a Ranger, you might know him. He’s name is…”

“Oh, shut up! Never mind.”

Turthôl laughed quietly to himself. If it was this easy to upset the Gondor woman, than this trip wasn’t going to be so bad. At least, he’d have a few laughs along the way.

A few hours later, they left Bree on their way back to the company.