Thread: Sarumans Orcs
View Single Post
Old 12-15-2002, 12:04 AM   #11
Legolas
A Northern Soul

Legolas has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I agree with Tar Elenion, and frankly, Tolkien would too.

Letter No. 78:

Quote:
Urukhai is only a figure of speech. There are no genuine Uruks, that is folk made bad by the intention of their maker; and not many who are so corrupted as to be irredeemable (though I fear it must be admitted that there are human creatures that seem irredeemable short of a special miracle, and that there are probably abnormally many of such creatures in Deutschland and Nippon — but certainly these unhappy countries have no monopoly: I have met them, or thought so, in England's green and pleasant land).
(boldface was added by me to highlight the point)

Also, from The Two Towers:

Quote:
They were a gang of the smaller breeds being driven unwilling to their Dark Lord’s wars; all they cared for was to get the march over and escape the whip. Beside them, running up and down the line, went two of the large fierce uruks, cracking lashes and shouting.
These uruks were larger orcs, obviously Uruk-hai.

And from Appendix F from The Lord of the Rings:

Quote:
Orcs and the Black Speech. Orc is the form of the name that other races had for this foul people as it was in the language of Rohan. In Sindarin it was [iorch. Related, no doubt, was the word uruk of the Black Speech, though this was applied as a rule only to the great soldier-orcs that at this time issued from Mordor and Isengard. The lesser kinds were called, especially by the Uruk-hai, snaga 'slave'.
Sauron knew Saruman's plan, but also knew he would have power over Saruman if the hobbits he captured were those carrying the Ring. Once Saruman had the Ring, he definitely would've attempted to use it which would've resulted in Saruman being under the control of Sauron. Since these Uruk-hai were already on the Isengard-side of the Anduin, the fortress of an 'ally,' why would he have them come all the way back to Mordor on their own? They would've had to pass through Gondor, Mordor's chief opposition. Too risky. I'm sure he would've sent the Nazgul to get the Ring (that is, if Saruman did not march right into Mordor and attempt to face Sauron on his own).

Because they headed to Isengard, the Fellowship had to split, as opposed to all of them going one place - Mordor - for the retrieval of Merry and Pippin and the destruction of the Ring. Saruman had already proved easier to ensnare than a hobbit.

[ December 15, 2002: Message edited by: Legalos ]