View Single Post
Old 02-13-2004, 03:32 PM   #12
Aiwendil
Late Istar

Aiwendil is a guest at the Prancing Pony.Aiwendil is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
I thought I'd revive this thread as a place for general discussion of what remains to be done on the Fall of Gondolin.

I can think of the following unresolved issues:

1. Rog
2. The two poems
3. The minute issue of "tallest of the Children of the World"
4. Where to put the chapter break
5. Is Gil-Galad at the Havens or on Balar?
6. The Elessar
7. The Oarni

All are found in part 5 except Rog and the "tallest" issue.

Is there anything else that ought to be added to the list?

Of course, the big one here is Rog. Numbers 4 and 5 don't necessarily need to be resolved at the moment, as they really have more to do with the Tale of Earendil.

Also, there are a few issues that were more or less settled but that we may wish to revisit once we have the revisions done:

1. Legolas - We had a vote on this and decided to keep the name, but to make the purely linguistic change to "Laegolas". But I know that Lindil was against this decision. There is an issue here regarding under what circumstances, if any, we can reopen an issue that was officially closed. I am on the one hand inclined to strive for a unanimous solution, but on the other hand I don't think we should be able to simply nullify the vote.

2. Mechanical Dragons - We initially decided to drop them, then later reinstated them, both without an official vote. I'm not inclined to alter our last decision, but we should at least note that if we want to third-guess ourselves, now's probably the time.
(By the way - are there any technical details in the most recent round of mechanical dragon revisions that are still not closed?)

3. Was the Way of Escape permanently closed? - There was an informal decision that it was not. But again, we should at least take a minute and ponder this, and make sure we all agree with that decision.

Numbers 2 and 3 are decisions that were never formally voted upon. Perhaps we should do that now.
Aiwendil is offline   Reply With Quote