View Single Post
Old 07-31-2004, 11:11 PM   #41
Lachwen
Wight

Lachwen has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Lachwen
Eye

Lachwen. I was so proud of this...

Lach (or, technically, lhach) means "leaping flame" in Sindarin. "Wen, of course, is "maiden." So Lachwen, the Maiden of Leaping Flame.

I made up this name partially because I love fire, partially because of my own firey temper, but in reality it was a surname for a character in a fanfic I never finished. She was sort of an Elven version of Éowyn, you know, a hardcore warrior-maiden who travelled with the Rangers. In my story, Elrohir gave her the name after seeing her first fight against Orcs, when she seriously poned them.

In a startling coincidence, the character's given name was Esgalost, "The Hidden Fortress," which was just what I got from the name generator. But I can help you with your name, Esgallhugwen!

OK, the element you don't understand is not hug but lhug (notice the double L in your name?). Lhûg is the Sindarin form of Quenya (h)lókë, which means "snake, serpent." The derivative lok-, "bend, loop", is found in Urulóki, the Quenya name for Dragons. So your name means something like "Hidden Serpent Maiden."

Wow, I've read The Silmarillion a few too many times...

Last edited by Lachwen; 07-31-2004 at 11:20 PM.
Lachwen is offline   Reply With Quote