View Single Post
Old 11-06-2016, 04:59 AM   #343
Legate of Amon Lanc
A Voice That Gainsayeth

Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.
Leaf <= Herb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kuruharan View Post
You, sir, are up there with the very top Werewolfers for playing such a bold and up front game while all the while being so vital to the ultimate well-being of the Ward.
I am blushing right now, sir. But thank'ee. In any case, much of the burden was on you and Lottie (especially her with all the lynch-votes. That was some responsibility, Lottie! But you, Kuru, accomplished the equally important task to survive. Huh).

Truth be told, I was super-worried and the despair *really* took me the last Day. I had spent the Night calculating all the possible scenarios, and came to the conclusion to use my single remaining herb on Lottie.
My original plan since the beginning of the game had been to keep us away from lynching people in the beginning (which worked) and afterwards to keep my last save for the last Day, so I could save myself if I woke up with the Black Breath; or to save another person if I didn't.

Eventually, on the last Night, I arrived to the conclusion that it was the best to keep Lottie alive in order to maintain clear majority of "known innocents" in the village, to maximalize the chance of lynching a Wolf and to prevent the WWs from taking over the vote. I was 99% sure the WWs were going after me (since I assumed the WWs would not target Kuru because after the last target had been Lottie, he would be the obvious target and therefore protected; and I was the last semi-known innocent), but I decided to throw away my original plan I had since the beginning and instead use my last herb there and then, letting myself be killed (no light decision, because on top of everything I was a Gifted!), but counting on that the Bard was still alive and if we survived with enough numbers, it would be enough.

I did that because I was convinced we still had the Bard (neither of the dead ones looked like one, barring the unlikely chance of it being Cab), and I was sure that there was no way the WWs could kill both of us anymore. But at dawn, when I learned that I got indeed afflicted with the Black Breath, the paranoia accumulated throughout the whole game started to sink in and upon reading Shasta's death narration, my immediate reaction was that he was the Bard. I got the total "I am Denethor, I am Éomer" feeling - that I am the last Gifted and I am about to die, and I alone in the whole village know that we are down to the last Gifted, me, who is about to die because I decided to forfeit my life during the last Night; and against all odds it turned out to be the wrong decision. So, for example not announcing my Black Breath rightaway was what I thought at that point a poor attempt of pitiful revenge, to make the WWs think they didn't get me, if they were going to die anyway. (But this is also a point against reading the thread at 2 AM when you feel tired and already paranoid.)

The second time my blood froze was when I read that Lottie and Kuru cast votes for each other. I just hoped nobody would point that out, because depending on the number of WWs, they could jump on that and outvote known innocents if they voted in unison.

But anyway! Altogether I enjoyed the game very much. Thanks to sally for organising this, and for giving me this role, because my record as Gifted so far had been pretty dismal (also didn't happen that many times).

For practicality - I am not sure if the game was much disbalanced. One would have to play a couple of times, but look, we lynched three times and had to get two Wolves; if we didn't, we would have lost. And given that we didn't even know after their deaths that they were Wolves...

I think, however, the right people to ask about the mechanics would be the Conspirators, because they knew the most already during the game and could follow how did the odds look like during the game.

In terms of thinking about the rules further, I have been wondering how did especially the average Ordos feel about it. I enjoyed the game, but I kept wondering, because nobody knew anything - the Gifteds did know at least something, and the WWs knew the most (knowing who was innocent and who was not) - how difficult was it to play as Ordo, or how enjoyable in total? As in, whether it didn't feel like you were just voting in the void, hoping you made the right decision.

But I quite liked the system as a whole. For example the "delayed lynches" was an interesting thing. At times, I felt maybe the Herbalist was a bit too powerful (with the delayed lynches, I could save whomever I wanted as long as I had herbs). That said, of course such system could be easily exploited by the WWs.

Oh, and last one. I think I owe an apology, or at least an explanation to Nerwen for not healing her on the second Day. Realising we had still a long time before us, and given that some people were questioning her innocence, I decided to let her go. Also, I admit, for my own peace of mind. I thought the village might still be torn about her on the next Day, and we didn't want that, and even I was not completely sure. Mostly it was about the numbers, though, and also that I thought healing somebody later would send a stronger signal that I still had some herb in reserve.

Also a question for the WWs: did you think I was a Gifted? Or, Eru forbid, the Herbalist?
"Should the story say 'he ate bread,' the dramatic producer can only show 'a piece of bread' according to his taste or fancy, but the hearer of the story will think of bread in general and picture it in some form of his own." -On Fairy-Stories
Legate of Amon Lanc is offline   Reply With Quote