View Single Post
Old 10-12-2003, 09:13 PM   #91
Nerindel
Spirited Weaver of Fates

Nerindel has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Nerindel Send a message via MSN to Nerindel Send a message via Yahoo to Nerindel
Sting

Amandur

After their fruitless search he and Léspheria met up with Rauthain and Maethor to find that they had fared no better, so they headed back towards the inn. They had just arrived when they were greeted by Dúlrain and he had found Toby Longholes, nodding approvingly to Dúlrain he walked up to the door of the inn and knocked hard on it. After speaking with Butterbar and acquiring a room in which they could speak in private, Dúlrain had volunteered to keep watch for their quarry.

Pulling one of the chairs from the white clothed, round table he placed it infront of Toby and straddled it, resting his arms across its back, Rauthain and Maethor instinctively took up position behind the increasingly nervous hobbit, though he was trying hard to hide it, he also felt Léspheria standing at his right shoulder.

"Now! Master Longholes, what news have you?" he asked in an authoritative tone.

"Gold!" The hobbit spat, trying to sound confident.

Taking the agreed amount from his pouch and setting it on the nearby table, so the hobbit could see it, but not touch it he repeated his question. Toby thought for a moment looking at the gold, then nodded slowly.

"I saw Barrold speaking with a Bounty hunter, named Kaldir.." that was interesting but Amandur kept his face expressionless, "And what did they discuss?" he asked.

"They spoke about family that Barrold had staying with him," Toby went on, looking about to the rangers to see if that made sense to them.

"And did this Bounty hunter seem interested in Barrold's guests?" Maethor asked keeping the same expressionless composure.

"Yes! he did, though he pretended not to be." the hobbit told him, irritated that the rangers had guessed the truth of Barrolds guests.

"Anything else?" Amandur asked. "Hmm I can't quite... Toby began but stopped abruptly as he felt a knife at his throat. " The price is high enough!" Rauthain whispered in his ear.

"Alright! Alright!" he squealed "Barrold also met with the bandit Avanill, But I swear I didn't hear any of their conversation!" Amandur nodded to Rauthain and he removed his blade re-sheathing it.

" Now Toby you are going to tell us were we can find Barrold?" Amandur said sternly.

"I told you before, I don't know where he hides!" Toby yelled, beads of sweat started to gather on his worried brow.

"He's lying!" Léspheria sighed, breaking her silent contemplation of Toby's words.

"No! that was not part of the deal!" the hobbit panicked starting to rise, but Rauthain and Maethor, laid their hands on his shoulders pushing him back down.

"You WILL show us where Barrold holds up!" Amandur commanded, "And if I refuse!" Toby spat.

"Then I'm sure we can find a nice cozy cell for you in the lockholes!" Maethor grinned, using his dagger to lift a large heavy pouch from within Toby's jacket, "A bit large to be a hobbits, wouldn't you agree" he said showing the evidence to his companions.

"Alright!" Toby snapped snatching back the pouch, "I'll show you!"

Aware that Dúlrain had not yet returned, Amandur asked Maethor if he would go look for him, The younger ranger nodded and left at once. Mean while Amandur pulled out his map and showed it to Toby, together he, Lespheria and Rauthain, quizzed the hobbit some more regarding the location of the house and what they may find inside.

[ October 12, 2003: Message edited by: Nerindel ]