Old 08-25-2008, 03:33 PM   #12
bilbo_baggins
Shade of Carn Dûm

Location: In my front hallway, grabbing my staff, about to head out my door
bilbo_baggins has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via Yahoo to bilbo_baggins
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lindale View Post
Now now, wounding Morgy seven times isn't a feat you can't really dismiss as being not a contest of physical strength.
I wouldn't say I necessarily dismiss it as a feat of physical strength, so much as I have always exalted it to a battle of more spiritual proportions. Battling with Melkor is obviously not a purely physical event, since Melkor was a Valar, and was more spirit than creature. I suppose I always assumed that the strength of Fingolfin (it was Fingolfin who fought Morgoth, right? Not some other Elf Lord?) stemmed from his spirit and will in that fight, and not from his body...

Quote:
But he was a special elf and it was in thhe days when elves were more connected to the world and not themselves.
Were elves more connected to the world, or was the world more in tune with the elvish strengths? When the Third Age ends, it seems to me that it's not a lack of Elvish strength, but a removal of the setting in which they can use that strength. Instead of the Elves getting weaker and less powerful, they are limited in their abilities in the new and changing world...