View Single Post
Old 01-25-2003, 02:40 PM   #67
Ithaeliel
Cornus Caliga

Location: Five-hundred-twenty-five thousand, six hundred minutes from here
Ithaeliel has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via MSN to Ithaeliel
Silmaril

Ru-Sahn was bitter the morning after. On top of Nuhrive's near escape and Nura's betrayal, he now bore a great gash on his right palm from when a hawk had suddenly swooped down from the sky and taken the elven-dagger from his hand. He knew more was afoot; no hawk flew by night, and few cared for the creations of the Children of Iluvatar. It was likely that the bird had been a spy for the girl's people.

Ru-Sahn chose not to bother with Nuhrive, for he knew that the speed of her recapture had frightened her into sumbission. Besides, she had caused him enough trouble. There were others who would watch her. Instead, he turned his attention to his craft, attempting to whittle knife-hilts and arrowheads like to the elves'. Now, as he chiseled the last letter of elvish script into the handle of one, he held it up in the sunlight, grinning as he prided himself on his improvement since he had had that elvish blade of Nuhrive's. It hardly seemed a loss now. But he would not show his work to Skara or any of the other men. He had come too close to revealing his origins already.

Later, Ru-Sahn sat on a boulder, polishing the hilt with an oiled rag, when he noticed the wearied elf-child sitting across from him. He smiled a little despite himself. "Look at this beautiful hilt," he spoke in the common tongue. "Not for nothing was the taking of your blade, young Nuhrive; I must say I am grateful."

The young elf glared at him before turning her head disdainfully. Ru-Sahn chuckled and went on with his labors. After a few minutes, Nuhrive glanced at him again. "How do you know my tongue?" she asked him suspiciously.

Ru-Sahn did not look up. "I've had experience with your kind before," he said simply. But Nuhrive shook her head. She knew there was more to it, though she did not care to meddle.

"Is it Nuhrive's?"

Feadhros nodded. "Look... there is blood on its edge. It is that of an Easterling."

Jemel smiled. "Nuhrive must have slain her guard and escaped!"

"Nay. There is too little. Someone was holding it before it was taken out of his hand. But it's still wet. We're very close to them."

Jemel stroked Aniram's head. "Mae carnen," she said to him. Then turning to the rest of the camp, she showed them the dagger and repeated what Feadhros had said to her. "If we leave before the sun, we may catch them. They are not as quick as we, for they have no horses."

[ January 25, 2003: Message edited by: Ithaeliel ]