View Single Post
Old 06-21-2002, 10:02 AM   #26
mark12_30
Stormdancer of Doom

Location: Elvish singing is not a thing to miss, in June under the stars
mark12_30 has been trapped in the Barrow!
Send a message via AIM to mark12_30 Send a message via Yahoo to mark12_30
Sting

Lindil,

Thanks again for posting this. I'm chewing slowly on it... Are you familiar (at all) with Centering Prayer, originally a catholic discipline but now becoming downright emcumenical? I see some striking similarities. I was fascinated to read reports of Long Silent Retreats given by the Contemplative outreach-- the rule is No talking, and when you pass by a brother or a sister, you are supposed to avoid eye contact and pray for them. The writer said that she felt much closer to the people there than she normally would have.

Given TOlkien's close attention paid to Things Catholic, I would be amazed if this (O-K)was not connected somehow to his understanding of communion. Have you read that letter where he encourages his son Michael to attend communion in a church in which he does not particularly feel drawn to the people? TOlkien's point is that in praying for the people (and also the priest) that so annoys you, you are more living out the idea of communion, and it will mean more. There's something quite deep in what he's telling his son, I think.

Also reminds me of some things I remember reading about mystical union of the body of Christ-- that as one's union with God deepens and expands, one is also (by neccessity) brought into union with the body of Christ. It is strikingly similar, I think.

There may(?, I'm guessing) even be some mention of all this in the Philokaia (Actually I'd be surprised if there wasn't, the Philokalia covers SOOO much ground... I've only read short excerpts... you are probably much better qualified to answer that.)

This topic rocks... [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]

--Helen