Thread: Tolkien dozen
View Single Post
Old 03-16-2013, 07:48 AM   #262
Pervinca Took
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Pervinca Took is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
EPIC KILLS

1. Bard
2. Morgoth
3. Dáin
4. Túrin
5. Merry and Éowyn
6. Gandalf
7. Gollum
8. Helm Hammerhand
9. Gurthang

Surely killing Túrin Turambar is epic enough in itself, even if a talking sword did it? *

(However, please delete if you don't agree).

(punched Freca so hard that he died; I don't know if the Professor thought this amusing, but I've always considered it to be one of the most hilarious instances of over-the-top heroic violence in the whole legendarium)

It's typical Old Norse humour - I think JRRT would have found it amusing. So is the killing of Golfimbul, I suppose.

* "There he drew forth his sword, that now alone remained to him of all his possessions, and he said, 'Hail Gurthang! No lord or loyalty dost thou know, save the hand that weildeth thee. From no blood wilt thou shrink. Wilt thou therefore take Túrin Turambar, wilt thou slay me swiftly?'

"And from the blade rang a cold voice in answer: 'Yea, I will drink thy blood gladly, that so I may forget the blood of Beleg my master, and of Brandir slain unjustly. I will slay thee swiftly.'

"Then Túrin set the hilts upon the ground, and cast himself upon the point of Gurthang, and the black blade took his life.

"Then they lifted up Túrin, and found that Gurthang had broken asunder."