View Single Post
Old 10-24-2017, 09:40 PM   #42
Ivriniel
Shade of Carn Dûm

Ivriniel has just left Hobbiton.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kuruharan View Post
Interesting, I don't recall reading that, or it didn't register.

It brings up the question again of what the Men who followed Sauron willingly made of the situation. Their god's actions and tactics had such a clearly detrimental impact on them and he made them fight alongside vile, monstrous creatures which it would be inescapable to understand that they were his primary grunt-work servants. What benefit did the Men of Darkness think they were getting out of this arrangement?
I've often pondered that as well. We know that the Mouth of Sauron spoke of Tribute and spared from death by tithing wealth and annexing lands to Sauron. So, I see an 'appeal to survival' in a vanity of conceit of Overlord as one motivation.

But more to the point, about Sauronic Will, and one point on what we are told by Tolkien about Men being more easily swayed by Melkor/Morgoth/Shadow than the Firstborn.

Seems to be a parable about the promises of greed, coveting, seduction and power, but, by the time you are face to face with Sauron, and 'it's too late to look back', then fear and horror are implied in 'bad decision'.