View Single Post
Old 03-11-2003, 03:15 PM   #27
Durelin
Estelo dagnir, Melo ring

Durelin is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Durelin is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Sting

"Nevyn? Well, there's really little I can tell you about him. He was amazingly light on his feet for such an old man. Graceful and poised, yet he was covered in wrinkles and age spots. He still stood tall though, the old conjurer, and there was an air about him of nobility, like the presence of a great King, but he looked his part: an old wandering herbman. I did not find anything out about his past or his travels, but I believe he is, or was one of the few that were left of the Dunedain. But, whenever I asked him of anything of his life, he became stark and gloomy, and a bit angry with me. Let me tell you, when that man is moody, he is as fearsome as the Balrog of Morgoth."

Krysello stopped to smile fondly at the memory of the old man. "Yes, he was an interesting character. I understand when one does not wish to share personal information, though it seems that I wouldn't care in the least about that. He know that magicians aren't supposed to speak of their powers, but I have very few and I have always known elves to acknowledge magic."

Then the blond entertainer frowned, is forehead creased in deep thought. "As to your question of shape-changers," he began, "Well, I dug deep into the files of a library, searching for texts on the Haradrim, when I came across manuscript on these shape-changers or shape-shifters, whatever you'd like to call them. Now, I was suprised to find them, the only problem was that age had taken its toll upon it, and most of the writing was illegible, to say the least. But, I deciphered as much as I could. The man, 'Guphalin the Wanderer' as his name is recorded, said that their changes of shape are usually humanoid, though they can change into most any shape, but non-human-like shapes can be painful for them to shift into. The basic shape for them is humanoid, of course, but they are unique in many ways, with no eyes. He compared them to bats, but said that he could not be sure that that is a proper comparison considering that they flee at the sight of any humans. He had to study them from hiding behind bushes and boulders, so his research is most definitly questionable. The final thing I read was that this Guphalin speculated on them not needing food, only water, but, one doesn't know for sure. I'm afraid I could not decipher the rest of the text."

Krysello stopped again, looking grim, as if his inability was a crime, "Of course, the owner of the manuscript informed me that his son had spilt a tankard of ale on it..." He paused, looking at Pio with an apologetic expression, "I do not know if I have helped you any. Actually, I have been hoping to travel south, and learn about the Haradrim, since I have been researching them, so, if I do, I will look on shape-changers for you, and return to this inn as soon as I can. I have fallen in love with the Shire, anyway. I just might study hobbit lore next..."

His mind bouncing from one thing to another, Krysello jumped back to the shape-changers, "Hum," he grunted, "well, there seems to be another thing I read about theses shape-shifters...my memory has been getting worse by the day. Well, maybe it will come to me after another ale. Of course, I'll pay for this one."

[ March 16, 2003: Message edited by: Durelin ]