View Single Post
Old 09-15-2009, 10:33 AM   #10
davem
Illustrious Ulair

Location: In the home of lost causes, and forsaken beliefs, and unpopular names,and impossible loyalties
davem is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.davem is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bęthberry View Post
I'll be musing over the idea that Science Fiction is about paranoia of the future but Fantasy is about something simpler. Sounds very much like the long march of Tolkien's Long Defeat. Myself, I've always been very wary of the past because I've always been very aware of those peasants--and the women who were chattel, at least in European history.
It occurs to me - essentially, Fantasy has little relation to the past. It's relation is rather to Faery, & Faery is not really of the past, but of a different state of existence. Fantasy is a means of imagining ourselves in another world, rather than another time. Whats amazing is how close to that other world most of us are, & how easy it is to access it. This struck me quite strongly today, seeing an interesting new book about story telling http://www.thebookseller.com/book-bo...ar/story-world The responses of the children in the video, the way they enter so easily into the 'Faery' world perhaps says something about the attraction of Fantasy - they may have struggled to put together a 'convincing' SF tale, but the ability to construct a Fairy Tale seems innate.
davem is offline   Reply With Quote