View Single Post
Old 08-01-2009, 07:10 AM   #16
Pitchwife
Wight of the Old Forest

Location: Unattended on the railway station, in the litter at the dancehall
Pitchwife is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Pitchwife is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Pitchwife is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Pitchwife is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Pitchwife is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.
Hmmm... interesting. Being comparably new here, I haven't had that much time to observe changes in avatars (though I've noticed some, of course), and I haven't yet felt the need to change my own (though I've pondered some alternatives). I think for me the avatar is part of the clothes we wear in this place, just like the names we choose, locations and signatures - different ways to express different aspects, facets of ourselves. And just like we may change our clothing styles or haircuts in real life over time, or dress differently for different occasions, it's perfectly ok to change your avvie if you feel like it (or go naked).
Generally, I identify people with their names rather than pictures - that, and what I've read of them. Some make more marked impressions than others, of course. Those with whom I've interacted more (whether in discussions or games), or who have a sort of charismatic presence, I've come to associate with their individual writing styles, humour, way of thinking etc much more than with their avvies. (Eg davem will always be unmistakably davem, whatever the little pic under his name; same for Form, Legate, yourself Nog, Boro, Might, to name just a few.)
That said, there are numerous exceptions to the rule.
I think it's different with people who have actual faces as their avatars - I associate those with their avvies much more than others. I think of Rune whenever I see a picture of Karl Marx (probably a symptom of Downs addiction) and vice versa. I know alatar doesn't really look like whoever his avvie is (I feel I should know the guy, but the name escapes me), I've seen his real pic on the photo page, and he sure has an unmistakable style, but that's the face he's stuck with in my mind. Form, to me, is Julius Caesar, whatever I've said above. Lalwende is Bilbo (it took me a while to adjust to her being female, despite her name!). Esty is Princess Fiona. Lommy is the Mucha (?) girl - and I was relieved when she changed back to it after her WW game. (She's also a penguin, and I think of her whenever I see penguins, but that's more a background idea.) etc pp.
(Now that makes me ponder - how do I actually feel about people thinking of me as a sheltie dog? Not too bad, but hmm... maybe it's time for a change after all?)
Side topic to this - how much is our psychological response to people conditioned by their avvies? Maybe one of the reasons I found it so hard to accept McCaber as the Seer in Mnemi's WW game was that his avvie doesn't exactly seem to invite trust and confidence; and Lalaith, that cute little rodent, as the last wolf was a small shock.
Which goes to show that it's much too easy to form a fixed image of somebody based on a tiny square of pixels. All the more reason to change every now and then, or go without one like narfforc and others, if you prefer that.
(By the way, Nog's parade of past avvies made me think - wouldn't it be nice to have a graveyard thread for discarded avatars, like the one that already exists for signatures? Or would that need too much server storage capacity?)

EDIT - PS: Now look what you've done! (And thanks to Mnemi for inspiring this)

Last edited by Pitchwife; 08-01-2009 at 08:09 AM.
Pitchwife is offline   Reply With Quote