View Single Post
Old 10-10-2005, 04:42 PM   #8
Findegil
King's Writer

Findegil is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Posted by Aiwendil:
Quote:
I wish we had an expert in alliterative verse to help us with these sections.
I can only underline this! And I am so far from being an expert, that I feel nearly helpless about all the needed changes.

Therefore I will not mention simple agreement fartherone in the discussion.

NA-RG-29: A couple of lines above Gwindor had "cried: 'Magic of Morgoth! A! madness damned!/ with friends thou fightest!'" So I thought he might be called a freind of Turin already. But you suggestions sounds good and is clearer in its meaning.

NA-RG-32: I would prefer your first suggestion even if the grammar is agianst it.

NA-EX-47.5: Your rearangement sounds perfectly well for me.

Gnomes -> Elves or Exiles: I think we are at one mind in this now: No simple replacment but a checkup what term is best used in the context. When ever we reread or FoG in the "changes indicated version" we should have an open eye for this.

NA-RG-02: I was temped in this case to stick to "Great", since if the Valar as a whole do rejoice, then that is true as well for the Great in particular. But it is a minor point and Valar as a replacment works for me.

NA-RG-07: Sorry this was a misprint. I would have liked to suggest:
Quote:
of NA-RG-07{Flinding go-Fuilin }[Guilin's son]? Shall {free}[great]-born NA-RG-07.5{Gnome}[Gwindor]
NA-Ti-23: So we have:
Quote:
NA-TI-23<Sil77 {Then in great peril they entered in, and they found Túrin fettered hand and foot and}And tied he was to a withered tree; and all about him knives that had been cast at him were embedded in the trunk, and {he was senseless in a sleep of great weariness} NA-EX-46<GA; Commentary §275 the {dragon-helm}[Dragon-helm]{ - or} was{ it} set on Túrin's head in mockery by the Orcs that tormented him>. But though Beleg and Gwindor cut the bonds that held him NA-EX-47<editorial bridge the Lay tells that
Spellnames: Aiwendil wrote:
Quote:
... but considering the absence of the spell from later versions, it seems likely that the special nature of Beleg's sword was considered sufficient for the severing of the bonds.
I take your point. Anglachel is a special balde, but the absence of the wetting of the sword done with the uttering of spells sufficinet for such a occasion is most likley due to compression. Considering that BEleg had run all the way from Amon Rudh without sleep, and that on Amon Rudh he had surely done a lot of hard fighting with Anglachel it is more than likley that the blade was bit notchy. Thus with a false attemp with other blades on the fetters, it seems very likely to me that Beleg would wet the blade before using it in such a occasion.
In short I am still holding to the spells, even if they were not as neccesary as in the original poem.

Respectfully
Findegil
Findegil is offline   Reply With Quote