View Single Post
Old 02-01-2004, 07:25 AM   #400
zb
Haunting Spirit

zb has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

[list=1][*]You have learnt that even on your 33k-max modem connection, you can access the Downs quickly if you turn images and stylesheets off, and log on at weird times when fewer people are using the internet. Obviously, this approach makes image-based threads dificult to enjoy.[*]You read about people composing posts in the back of their lecture pads and think: that is genius.[*]You spend much time listening to the RotK soundtrack in order to make detailed analysis of "Into the West" in the movies forum.[*]You lie awake at night thinking about a post someone else has made, and how you can reply in a way which is both witty and includes detailed Tolkien reference.[*]Your post count fascinates you, as does speculation and calculation about how long it will take you to earn a PT.[*]You are moved almost to tears when you come across a thread which was started in 2000-ish about "what you want to see in the movies", and the original poster who wanted to see the Rohirrim cry death! with one voice and terrible posted again after the release of RotK to say "whoohoo!" (sorry, I can't remember who it was: burra, maybe? I'd look it up if I had a faster net connection)[*]Checking the Downs falls under the checking-email category of high-frequency net activity.[*]Instead of angsting about whether you're as good-looking as your friends, you angst about not being as amazingly clever and knowledgeable as your fellow BDers.[*]You don't write blog entries about current events, you write them about BD discussions.[*]You'd write more blog entries about the Downs, but you're too busy Downsing.[/list=a]
"Do you think I am trying to weave a spell? Perhaps I am; but remember your fairy tales. Spells are used for breaking enchantments as well as inducing them. And you and I have need of the strongest spell that can be found to wake us from the evil enchantment of worldliness..." - C.S. Lewis
zb is offline   Reply With Quote