View Single Post
Old 04-15-2008, 01:20 PM   #28
skip spence
shadow of a doubt

skip spence is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.skip spence is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bęthberry View Post
So, if Arda is marred, if Middle-earth is tainted by the evil and chaos of Melkor, does that not mean that all of the natural world is fallen?
Yes I believe it does, but in the sense of fallen from its ideal (but utopian) state, not fallen to pure evil. I read Morgoth's marring as an allegory for mankind's (and nature's) capacity for evil or rebellion against god which also, of course, is a requisite for doing good. Much like christianity's Fall of Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bęthberry View Post
...Nature cannot therefore be either neutral or positive, but must be something to be fought against, for fear of succumbing to Melkor's taint.
So I don't think nature nessesarily must be fought against even though it is tainted by Morgoth. Nature is in it's orgin good, and still is despite the marring of Morgoth. It might become twisted however like fex. Old Man Willow.

But as Ibrin noted, Tom seems to be 'untainted' however as the ring has no power over him or tempts him in any way.

As for the Goldberry's connection with Ulmo I can't think of anything clever to say.