View Single Post
Old 06-05-2005, 08:10 PM   #128
littlemanpoet
Itinerant Songster

littlemanpoet is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.littlemanpoet is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bęthberry
I think I'm going to check out Owen Barfield, as littlemanpoet suggested, to see about this "felt change of consciousness" he mentioned.
The best start with Barfield is Poetic Diction, which I own and have read through twice. I can honestly say I actually comprehend perhaps 70% of the work, and understand 40% of it. Very deep! All about language, its history, and its use, and he introduces, describes, and explains "felt change of consciousness" far better than I ever could. It was a seminal work, one that Tokien and Lewis were both very familiar with. It lies behind much of my theory in my "mythic unities" thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bęthberry
I think it is very funny that I have just received a negative rep for my previous post here.
Funny, I was going to positive rep you on that post, because I thought you stated the case not only clearly but effectively, but I gotta spread it around first.

Whether or not LotR is best understood with a knowledge of the Legendarium or not, Gandalf's little Orthanc speech in The Council of Elrond seemed more like the narrator's voice than the wizard's - - - to me. If others find the same thing, maybe that says something more about the author (not deity's) regarding the wizard. After all, Gandalf is used as the "final authority" on anything within the story.
littlemanpoet is offline   Reply With Quote