View Single Post
Old 01-15-2004, 03:35 PM   #54
piosenniel
Desultory Dwimmerlaik

piosenniel is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Sting

Gondor

"My lady..." he said with a slight bow.

Derylin rose at the entrance of the mountainous, dark haired man whose great ham fist swallowed up Cami’s tiny one. ‘He has a wild look to him,’ he thought. His eyes, tracking the big man’s movements, were hard and grey, and the tips of his fingers stayed on the table top, near the hilt of his sword. But Piosenniel had risen also from her chair, and tapped him lightly on his tensed forearm.

Smiling, she nodded to Baran, as he bowed to her. ‘No need for such courtesies in this house, my dear Baran! You are my guest. Please, seat yourself, and be at ease.’ A sturdy oak bench was pulled near, and introductions made. Derylin first – a family friend and her blade-work partner. ‘And sometimes she lets him win,’ whispered Cami, who leaned against Baran’s great thigh, fingering his wondrous beard.

Pio picked up her youngest, and laughed as Derylin arched one brow at her, then winked at Cami. ‘And this is Cami, whom you’ve already had the pleasure of meeting. My youngest daughter.’ Cami wriggled down from her mother’s arms and curtsied to him. ‘And this is Gilwen, my older daughter,’ she continued, placing her hand on the young girl’s shoulder as she came to stand by her mother’s side.

Baran nodded to each as they were introduced, then inquired, ‘And your son?’ He looked around expectantly, recalling the young boy who had asked if his mother was going to kill Baran in the Inn.

‘Oh, here I am!’ came Isilmir’s hurried response. He was running out of the house, an old leather journal of some sort in his hands. He planted himself in front of Baran, and composing himself bowed slightly. ‘Welcome,’ he said, then stepped back a pace, and looked the man up and down. ‘Just as I remember, but much larger closer up,’ he murmured, as he stepped back beside Gilwen, thumping her once on the side of her leg with the book.

‘They’ve been trying to look you up,’ confided Cami, who had slipped in again beside the man.

Another round of cakes was brought out, a bottle of honeyed wine, and juice once again for the children. Derylin stayed for one last glass and a little polite conversation, then begged off, saying he must get back to the city. The children, their curiosity appeased for the while, drifted off to other games and schemings.

Pio refilled Baran’s glass, then leaned back in her chair. ‘You mentioned Imladris when I met you in the Inn,’ she said, setting her own untasted glass on the table beside her. ‘And that you brought tidings.’

She leaned forward slightly, studying the man on the bench. ‘May I ask what they are?’

Last edited by piosenniel; 04-21-2004 at 02:10 AM.