View Single Post
Old 01-28-2004, 10:01 AM   #82
Mithadan
Spirit of Mist

Mithadan is a guest at the Prancing Pony.Mithadan is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Sting

Mithadan

The questions which leapt to Mithadan's mind as a result of Rama's warnings went unanswered as he watched the young woman's back disappear into the crowd. Her words echoed in his head. Do not trust Falasmir or the woman who walks beside him...Learn how to lose your guards. He closed his eyes and rubbed his temples. Rama had seemingly confirmed his suspicions. Yet he was here, in part, as a diplomat on behalf of his King and under the protection of Falasmir. How could he respond to these warning without betraying Elessar's interests or insulting the lord of Umbar?

He straightened himself and scanned his surroundings. Why would Falasmir hold such a reception if he intended to harm Mithadan or his crew? Yet there was the answer to his earlier question. His first responsibility was to his ship and the men who trusted him -- his crew. He nodded almost imperceptibly and waded back out into the crowd of traders and dignitaries with his jaw set.

He was approached quickly by a middle aged man. Thin and less well-dressed than most, the trader pulled a length of cord from his pocket. "Captain," he said. "I am Belegas. I have for you a sample of our finest rope, made from the fiber of a vine which grows here. See how strong it is?" He drew a knife and sawed at it. The strands of the cord bent and gave under the blade but did not part easily. "I can deliver to you lengths of rope, or nets if you prefer, bouyed by cork at the edges. Wonderful for fishing. I have hooks of all descriptions as well..."

Mithadan smiled politely. The seafarers of Gondor, of course, had little need to buy nets and ropes from Umbar. He had no nets aboard the Star; his was no fishing vessel... But perhaps... He nodded and withdrew his purse as he began to haggle...

The evening concluded pleasantly enough. Falasmir offered a toast to "future relations with Umbar's brothers to the north." Then Mithadan and Airefalas retired to their rooms to review the invoices and bills of lading they had obtained that evening. Airefalas had done well indeed. Silks, bright cloth, spices, other light goods, all of which could be stowed easily.

"All will be delivered tomorrow?" asked Mithadan. Airefalas nodded. "Then we will visit the Star and have the crew ready to load the cargo swiftly. I want to prepare to get underway. All leaves will be cancelled so the ship leave port at the earliest chance."

"That will be good news for the men," replied Airefalas. "They are eager to be gone and have had their fill of Umbar."

"They are not alone," said Mithadan as he rubbed his eyes wearily. "I will welcome the open sea and to be on our way...safely."

"Surely my captain has not had his fill of Falasmir's hospitality?" Airefalas commented with mock surprise. "And will you not miss the company of Seft and his mates? For our protection of course..."

To his surprise, Mithadan replied with a colorful curse concerning the likely ancestors of their guards. Then he seized a cup of wine and drained it in a gulp before slamming the vessel back down on the table. "May the Valar protect us from our protectors," he growled.