View Single Post
Old 12-04-2003, 04:46 AM   #193
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!
Silmaril

Estelyn’s cloak, already fastened, though the hood was not yet over her dark head, made obvious that she was about to depart from the Inn. She saw Mellonin’s apprehensive glance as she approached the younger woman and smiled reassuringly.

“You are leaving, my lady?” the girl asked.

“Yes,” the Loremistress answered, “but I will come back as soon as possible. I have made provisions for you to stay here – you will have a room and meals, in exchange for your help.”

“But what am I to do?” Mellonin asked, with a troubled glance around them. “The servants are so quick that they take care of tasks before I have a chance to help.”

“I know,” answered Estelyn. “They have been well-trained by the first Innkeeper here and are used to managing even when he was absent. But do not forget – you are not in the service of the Inn. You have been placed in my service, and I have a purpose in keeping you here. You see, I travel far to collect tales and documents for the library of the White City, but sometimes the best tales come to us right here, told in the Inn. That is why I come here often when I can, but I must now tend to my duties. There is much to be done after my last journey; I must order and sift the books and parchments I brought with me. I would like you to be my helper here; listen to the stories the guests tell and record them for me.”

Mellonin blushed and bit her lip, looking to the ground uncomfortably. Estelyn laid her hand on the girl’s shoulder gently. “If you do not know all the letters, I will teach you to read and write well enough. You are a bright young woman; I’m sure you will learn quickly. Do not worry! Send a message to me if anything concerns you, and take heart – you will have news of your brother soon, I hope.”

With a brief glance to the Innkeeper and a tiny conspiratorial wink, she opened the door and left.
'Mercy!' cried Gandalf. 'If the giving of information is to be the cure of your inquisitiveness, I shall spend all the rest of my days in answering you. What more do you want to know?' 'The whole history of Middle-earth...'