View Single Post
Old 07-01-2009, 11:32 AM   #36
Inziladun
Gruesome Spectre

Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mithadan View Post
When the huge influx of members happened after the movies came out, many old members lamented the loss of the earlier "bookish" atmosphere and many gave up.
There was a sizable stretch of time in the middle parts of this decade when my posts were sparse, and my visits down to about one per month. That was the primary reason.
I'm not saying there is inherently anything wrong with fanboys / girls raving about how the movies were the best ever and worthy of a million Oscars, or debating over whether the movie hobbits were fat enough or who was the 'hottest', Legolas or Faramir. Nor do I find IM / chat-style abbreviations in the proper context particularly irksome. However, that was not what I was looking for, so I decided my time was better spent elsewhere for a while.
And now? The place does have something of the earlier feel to it again, now that Mithadan says that.
There is still ample room for others to debate the merits of the movies, and still book discussions enough to keep those of that mind occupied.
Books, movies, WW, there's something here, I think, for every taste. New members are joining at what seems to be a consistent rate, so to me the place is much the same as always.
And we can look forward to some of those we've thought gone for good pushing their decaying corpses in here when they can, just to say hello.