View Single Post
Old 10-29-2002, 11:44 AM   #327
piosenniel
Desultory Dwimmerlaik

piosenniel is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Sting

Mithadan's post:

The dense fog shrouded the entry of the flotilla into the Siril and had the further salutory effect of driving such few boats as might normally ply the river at that hour to the shore. It was somewhat after noon when the last ship in line entered the river. The fog closed behind it like a door.

The trek up the Siril took many hours. Those who could do so slept the afternoon away. Many, however, could not seek the forgetfulness of sleep. Mithadan prowled the decks like a panther, watching both the vessel's course as well as the shoreline for any onlookers. Thus far they had gone undetected.

The Hobbrim would often leap into the waters to monitor the keels of the ships and the depth of the river. They also swam ahead to keep watch for any vessels. But the preternatural fog and the chill which accompanied it left the Siril deserted.

As night began to fall, Kali clambered aboard the lead ship and padded over to Mithadan. "Yes, Kali?" he said. "Mithadan, I am joining your crew now," Kali replied. Mithadan nearly laughed but managed to keep a straight face. "If you wish," the Man responded. "But why?"

Kali tapped his foot impatiently. "You agreed that I would come with you. That if Pio were imprisoned that you would rescue her. Daisy is imprisoned and I will rescue her. Pio has also agreed. She invited me along this morning. I will go along with you."

Mithadan's face grew grave. "I did say that, Kali," he answered. "And I will honor my word. But keep in mind that it will be dangerous and that, no matter what you see or hear, you must do as Pio and I say." Kali agreed gratefully.

The night fell and the shoreline disappeared altogether. The ships remained hidden from any passerby between the dark and the fog. Mithadan settled in to await their arrival at the foot of Meneltarma. One way or another, he would not see the next day dawn...

[ October 29, 2002: Message edited by: Mithadan ]

[ October 30, 2002: Message edited by: Mithadan ]