View Single Post
Old 09-25-2007, 10:46 AM   #142
alatar
Doubting Dwimmerlaik

alatar is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.alatar is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Sorry that this post is about Denethor's plunge and not Gollum, but I've already posted about running Dwarves in that thread, and seems that this thread is more about Denethor...

Faramir, having greeted his new King and having gotten plans started for marrying his wild shieldmaiden friend from the North, turns his thoughts backwards a bit, to those days just before the Battle of the Pellenor "Dad, you were a crazy ole coot sometimes, and had the table manners of an orc chieftain, but still I loved you."

Faramir walked the lower level of the city to the spot where poor old dad had met his abrupt end. Although the city was being repaired, still, some stains remained from those dark days. At one dark stain Faramir knelt down and set a round red tomato on the paving stones, marred and blackened from the war.

"Excuse me? Captain Faramir, can I help you?" A guard had walked up, checking on his lord.

"I'm fine. Just paying homage to my dear father, the late Denethor, the Soaring Steward." The guard looked a bit perplexed, then, being caught up mayhap in the jubilation of the Fourth Age, decided to speak further.

"Uh...Captain Faramir? Your father, sir, actually landed over there. I saw it myself with my very own eyes, thinking it some new devilry from Mordor. I think that on this particular spot a brave soldier met his demise by one of those Battle Trolls. Squished with a mace, he was."

PJ robs us, however briefly, of any chance of a scene where Faramir briefly laments the loss of his father. No glimpse down Rath Dínen, no blackened and burned room - and I'm not even going to mention the palantir - no tomb.

It's all Gandalf's fault as he had to cover up the scene where he assaulted the lord of the city. No body, no crime.