View Single Post
Old 11-24-2002, 12:58 AM   #36
piosenniel
Desultory Dwimmerlaik

piosenniel is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Sting

Mithadan took the map from Bird's hands, and made his way to where Gandalf now sat. He stood before the grey cloaked figure, remembering with pleasure the 'Dragon' which had diverted the ships of Gorthaur from discovering the crew of the Star.

'Anca . . .' he began, but the wizard, his eyes twinkling at the figure of the Man before him, cut off the further saying of that name, and bade the man sit with him. 'It's Gandalf, here, Mithadan. Well met, my friend!' He called for a bottle of good Dorwinion wine and two cups, and asked how he might be of service to the Star.

'For it looks as if you have a question on your mind,' he said, 'and I would be of help to you all as I can.'

Mithadan cleared a space on the table before them, and spread out the map that Pio had found. He pulled a small candle lantern near, so that it threw a soft pool of light across the grey hide. His fingers traced the red script which ran round the maps edge and pointed to the curious figures drawn on it. 'Might you recognise this script at all, Gandalf?' asked Mithadan, his eyes now on the wizard. 'And these drawings, have you seen any like these in all your far travels?'

Gandalf pulled the map closer to him, peering closely at it . . .