View Single Post
Old 01-25-2006, 10:36 PM   #16
Firefoot
Illusionary Holbytla

Firefoot has been trapped in the Barrow!
Léof could not help but be impressed – and slightly intimidated - by Eodwine; here was a man who was easily more lordly than any he had ever met. Yet he seemed interested, and Léof wanted to make a good impression.

“I am not choosy, lord; I would work hard at whatever tasks you might have for me.” And he spoke truly. Though such a job as cleaning appealed little to him, he would do it if need be. Eodwine had mentioned stabling, though – Léof’s heart began to race. He had no idea whether he was in a position to be choosy, but he had to try. “But if it pleases you, I am good with the horses. If you have need of an ostler, it is a job I would gladly take.”

He could hardly bear to hope that he might take a job doing what he most loved to do. His father had never cared much for the horses, and always said he spent too much time with them when he ought to be doing other things. Eodwine did not promptly respond, and Léof now feared rejection too much to be able to keep his mouth closed while another decided his fate.

“At any rate, my own horse has need of care, and neither of us has seen the inside of a stable for several days…” He realized he had begun to babble and shut his mouth abruptly. If he had not already made a fool out of himself, he figured that he almost certainly would soon, and then why would anyone want him for a stableboy?