Thread: ATM II RPG
View Single Post
Old 05-24-2006, 01:21 PM   #40
Hookbill the Goomba
Alive without breath

Hookbill the Goomba is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Hookbill the Goomba is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Hookbill the Goomba is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Hookbill the Goomba is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Fury mixed with pride was always dangerous, especially in the small confines of a Dwarf's head, and especially this Dwarf. "All these corridors look the same,” he muttered angrily" and he decided finally to sit down. He found a bench (coincidently, the same on that he passed earlier) and began pondering many things: not least why a garden bench was in a corridor.

Orcs, men and other things walked by, ignoring Smilog as he sat with his legs swinging over the edge of the bench. He took out his axe and whetstone and began sharpening it, muttering and mumbling to himself. It wasn't long before someone sat next to him and began to eat some strange meat. "Pork," he said and offered some to Smilog.

"Nay," retorted the aggravated Dwarf, "I have business at hand." The one who sat by was a short man, not short enough to be a Dwarf, and he had no beard anyway. On his fingers were many golden rings and about his neck was a fine necklace with a great gem hung from it. His orange tunic and brown cloak, coupled with his green boots made him look almost comical. But Smilog was not in the mood for jests and wanted to get to that Roggie fellow as soon as possible. He hadn’t come all this way to get lost in some confounded corridors!

"May I introduce myself?" asked the man extending a hand for Smilog to shake.

"No," replied Smilog as he leaped off the bench, "I need to find that Roggie fellow. I hear he's around here somewhere."

"He'll probably be in his office." said the man, "up stairs, I believe. First on the left."

"I know!" lied Smilog, "now, if you will excuse me..." the Dwarf turned away and stomped off to see if he could find some stairs. The man began to follow him, but Smilog tried to ignore him and walk on all the same, grumbling curses in Dwarvish.

"I heard that!" cried the man, clapping Smilog on the shoulder, "that was not a nice thing to say."

"Oh, be off with you!" cried the now fully irritated Dwarf, "Can't you see I'm busy? I have important business to attend to."

"Andvarri," said the man.

"I beg your pardon?"

"Andvarrri, that is my name."

"Is it?" Smilog walked away, one step, two steps, and three. Andvarri? That name meant something to him. Yes, he had heard the name. "What did you say?"

"My name is Andvarri." he replied, bowing, "I see that you have heard of me. Well, Smilog the Dwarf, I had heard you were an ill-tempered little runt, but stay your axe. I have need of your services."

"That is what they told me to get me to come here on this ridiculous errand. I want no more pointless quests, thank you very much."

"That is sad, you have heard the legends, I take it?" Smilog stopped his stomping and listened, "the gold. The endless mountain of Gold?"

"The Gold of Andvarri, it is said, is cursed," retorted Smilog, "and how can you be he? The legend is thousands of years old!"

"Ah, it was my great grand father to the ninth degree that first established the Gold. The eldest son of our blood line who bares the birthmark of Andvarri is given this name." he lifted his hair from his brow to reveal a mark that looked alike to an anvil. "I assure you, that gold belongs to me. Wherever it lies."

"And I suppose you want me to find it?" said Smilog, "Sorry, as much as I wish to find a mountain of Gold, every Dwarf since the legend was born has sought it and found it not. Unless you had Andvarri's map, the finding is... is... impo... impossible..." the man was holding a small scroll of paper. He smiled widely.

"What say you now?" asked Andvarrri.

"Well, let me finish my business here and I shall help ye."

"Ah, this business here concerns the treasure. Roggie, I believe holds an artefact that will aid us, though he may know it not."

"Let us not speak of this in public. Come, show me to his chamber..."