Thread: Galadriel
View Single Post
Old 12-27-2002, 12:51 PM   #32
lindil
Seeker of the Straight Path

lindil has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

welcome to the downs and a worthy 1st post drigel [ though I should not be the one to say it].

I am actually amazed at those 2 'essays' on Galadriel at the begining of the thread as they are better than anything I think I could write now.

In our Silmarillion [see second link in my sig] work I am mighty tempted to propose adhering to the latter conceptions of Galadriel even though it would mean creating a new LotR canon [well a new RGEO canon] [ a big no-no in our book, but possibly allowable on the grounds that by changing Celeborn's parentage we save far more of his conception of Galadriel].

But I have really come to fell that JRRT really did want to place Galadriel as an 'Yin' or feminine counter to Feanor's 'Yang' brash impulsive creativity. And that he felt this was an extremely important component of the Legendarium.

He lived fast and hard and died young.

She lived slowly and wisely pondering on the mistakes of her people and alone survived among her kin.

He desired to Rule the Noldor but never did.

She ruled the most Elvish Kingdom [in that they managed to nearly stop time and create a near Valinorean realm of bliss] ever to exist in M-E by invitation ! of the native inhabitant; a most unusual blend of Sylvan and Noldorin overcoming the usual Sylvan animosity to outsiders and 'High'-Elves.

She was able to give up the One Ring and the possibility to Rule the World and keep a permanent haven for Elves, Feanor could not give up the Silmarills even when asked by the valar.

She alone of the Noldorin Royalty lived to sail back to the Undying Lands. Feanor was the first to die [well almost, after the son he killed].

He was pure Noldorin, She was a blend of Noldor [1/2] and Vanyar and Teleri [1/4 each].

Feanor was ensnared by the mind of Morgoth even as he tried to fight him. Galadriel knew the mind of Sauron and resisited him with utmost effectiveness and subtlty.

I am sure more can be said, but as Drigel has mentioned JRRT greatly expanded upon her role as he grew older and I think he would have changed Celeborn to Teleri in the LotR/RSoG. In all honesty he probably forgot that he had nailed the parentage of Celeborn down, but even if he had stuck with it he still I think would have had Galadriel depart seperately from those who had participated in the Kin-Slaying.

For those wondering for the sources for all of this look to UT [ the chapter Galadriel and Celeborn] and Peoples of Middle-Earth [ the Shibboleth of Feanor] along with the Letters.

actually I got my parental ratio's confused; she was 1/2 Telerin 1/4 Noldorin and 1/4 Vanyarin.

[ December 27, 2002: Message edited by: lindil ]
The dwindling Men of the West would often sit up late into the night exchanging lore & wisdom such as they still possessed that they should not fall back into the mean estate of those who never knew or indeed rebelled against the Light.
lindil is offline   Reply With Quote