View Single Post
Old 11-29-2003, 05:09 PM   #77
piosenniel
Desultory Dwimmerlaik

piosenniel is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Silmaril

‘Michel Delving . . . that’s right! Now I recall it.’ Erkaliel looked northward toward their unseen destination. ‘I’ve heard that the Periannath live in a very large area of Eriador they call the Shire. And that they’ve divided this Shire into four parts to make it more manageable. They call them farthings . . . the parts, that is. And I’m thinking we’ll be going to the West Farthing.’

Erkalaiel urged Bracken a little nearer Dunaire’s mount. ‘I wonder if we’ll get to stop in Michel Delving. It’s the chief town, or so I’ve heard . . . the Mayor lives there.’ Erkaliel sighed. ‘Probably not. We’ll sneak by them in the night without them seeing us or us them. Too bad, really. Once we’re on the ship, we won’t have the chance again.’

They rode on in companionable silence for a while. ‘You know,’ said Erkaliel, suddenly breaking the quiet clip – clop of the horses’ hooves with her voice. ‘About your question – who could have taken the other horses. That’s a real puzzle.’ She shook her head. ‘Who would be passing through the nearly deserted Tharbad except Elves bound for the Havens . . . or ruffians bound for the Shire to cause mischief?’ She narrowed her eyes and looked northward and west, but there was naught that she could see.

‘Either way, it bodes ill for our company . . .’