View Single Post
Old 05-02-2007, 12:46 PM   #37
Bęthberry
Cryptic Aura

Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.
Quote:
Originally Posted by davem
Extending this to questions of sexuality – the Dwarf question is not so simple. First, Dwarves are not human. They are mortal, but they are not of the Children. Hence, we can't assume that they would feel sexual desire in the same way – or even at all. Or it may be that they have ways of sublimating their sexual desires & channelling their libidinous tendencies into their work. Elves are virtually asexual once they have had children according to Tolkien.
Right. Aule must clearly have had less of the sub-creative urge/energy than Illuvatar.

Or maybe dwarven children were brought by the eagles, but instead of being little cabbages they were really little stones and somewhere along the way someone forgot the spell that brought them to life. Or maybe it was the loss of the dwarven rings which doomed the little blessing stones to pebbledom.

And I think Monty Python has a skit about post-partuition sexuality, except it referred to CoE types. Prolly Tolkien's elves were a model for it.